Clown loaches growth rate difference - Why?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks guys.

The smallest 5 year old wasn't getting bullied. It was just when they do the up and down dance on the glass that I noticed he was always landing at the bottom. Food wise, they all got food but as you say the larger loaches do mop up a lot more food. I feed enough though, and have always tried to spread the food around. It's a matter of who finds it, not who's the biggest.

I have 3 very young loaches, they eat a lot more as they don't hide during lights on. Each time food hits the tank they shoot for my hands. They're are very brave. The other day I put my hand in to take out some melon left over, the baby loaches started nibbling my hands up and down, alongside the SAEs in fact...I thought I'd carry a fish out accidentally when I took my hand out :)

I think food is not the issue. The 2 year old loach was a 1.5 inch or so when I got him and probably no more than 2 inch when he joined the older much bigger guys already. The 5 year old is slightly shorter and slender than him. But the size difference is obvious. If I didn't know their markings that well, you'd always think the 5 year old is a younger loach, and is the one I purchased 2 years back but that small 5 year old is the only "thin" striped loach. His black stripes are very narrow so it always drew my attention. I have 5 loaches which are now 5 year old. One is signifficantly larger at 8 inches, two are odd striped, and two normal striped from which the smallest is the narrow striped loach...so very easy to distinguish who's who.

Food availability to them both was the same and the 2 year old theoretically would have been at a disadvantage size wise but over the last couple of years he's managed to grow bigger than the thin striped 5 year old, who although slowly, is still growing and is healthy, has always been.

I do not know their sex but the smallest 5 year old loach is slender where the 2 year old loach is wider in build. The largest of the 5 year olds, signifficantly wider than the rest as well, is an 8 inch loach.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Hi. All I know is that I am now a proud owner of 6 healthy clowns and 4 thin clowns. I thought they where sick. But as I was sizing them up last week. The thin ones seems to be 1.5 inches. According to loach online it has to be 3" atleast. No wonder I am getting are hard time. The caretaker feed 2 3x a week. I feed 3 or 4x.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I feed mine at least once a day, no break unless I forgot or I am not around. For the last 9 months I fed twice a day as I've had growing other fish, baby clowns, plus my tank right now is relatively lightly stocked.

I've got 10 clown loaches right now. 5 I purchased 5 years ago, none of them ever looked sick, thin, or acted in a sickly way. They were healthy from day one. Then I purchased a large 5-6 inch at the time clown loach who was malnourished looking but not thin. He flourished and in about 6 months he looked way better. He's now a 9 inch loach.
Then 2 years ago I bought a baby loach, the 2 year old in question above who is roughly a 4.5- 5 inch loach now. He had ick and was quarantined for at least 2 months on lots of water changes and lots of food. He ended up getting extremely friendly from all the interaction and eating from my hand. I have an old video somewhere of him when he was a baby.

Last year I purchased another baby loach, around early September. He was healthy from the start. At Christmas last year again, I awarded myself with two more baby clowns, one of which was extremely sick. You may have seen my other thread about him. He's now back to full health. So in all, I've had problem with 2 of the 10 loaches and both of them made it just fine. I've got no thin/bony loaches now, or ever had apart from the latest one, and I think thin equals a parasitic or worm issue. The 5 year old smallest loach in question above is not thin, he's slender looking but totally not bony and very pretty looking loach in fact. Those 5 year olds(and the oldest loach) have never had even as much as a fin nip or a fin split over the years I've had them...very healthy fish and the poor things are onto a third tank now, lived in a 80 litre container for 2 months last year because of a tank break. I almost gave them up but large water changes kept them healthy till I got a new tank. Clown loaches are extremely resilient fish. They're not as sensitive as some make them out to be.

Last edited:

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Lots of text in this thread, thought I'd post a video for a change. Only the 3 baby clowns are out. The rest don't like the lights on.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I managed to get a video, although quite bad because the light is off, of the 5 year old and 2 year old next to each other.

On the video below the 3 bigger clown loaches are two of the five year olds and one two year old as well. They fuss around the big hollow stone in the centre. The one that remains at the end of the video alone on the stone is the smallest 5 year old loach. You can see that the other two that hang around him in the video are almost identical in size and one is the 2 year old and one a 5 year old.

Its visible on the blurry picture I took too below, only that the angle makes the 5 year old even smaller than he is but you can see that a 2 year old loach has grown way bigger than the 5 year old

Two years ago the two year loach in quarantine was quite the pig and chased away baby platies from the food....He's the only loach that had white spot at purchase.

Reactions: smjack

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
More time lapse pictures of my largest loach who was already quite grown when I got him in 2013.

Him here days after purchase, if not the same day...

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
And these are the 5 year olds in 2012...one of the first videos I got of them at the time but its about 6 months after I got them. I was fiercely angry taking that video as I had just figured who's sucking up cory fry from the breeder box :D They kept disappearing :rolleyes:

And another one from the same time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store