Clown loaches shadowing behaviour in a new tank

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
To cut the long story short, I had a few tank disasters and my clowns have been inhabiting a large plastic pond for the last week.

Today I noticed some fuss around and when I looked closer the clowns were shadowing each other.

I first saw two same sized clown loaches firmly attached to each other flying like rockets around, which prompted me to get the camera out. I came back and sat down to tape it but then a totally different pair started doing the same thing(pretty easy to distinguish them because they are different sizes for the most part)

So what are they doing that for? Are they establishing a pecking order again? They've lived together for years. 5 of them I bought 4 years ago. In the mean time I bought two lonely ones a year and a half apart from the local shop because I felt sorry for them. So I have 7 loaches. The small one attached to the bigger one happens to be just short of a year and a half old. So surely he isn't fighting to become the alfa :) He's got no hope, lol.

Apologies for the poor video but that's the best I can do in the "pond". You can open it full screen for better view and follow the biggest/longest clown in the bunch fussing over in the "corner". There's another one firmly attached to him and he's trying to shake him off. The rest of them are just fussing around them.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks choc.

I am wondering though....I know the small loach that shadowed the big one is the last one I bought I year and a half ago...Perhaps he's tired of being the one at the bottom of the pecking order and is showing off to the alpha loach in hope of being promoted :)

...I watched a very good documentary about wolves in the wild once. Its a really sad role being the runt of the litter in any pack. It's normally the animals that are the least aggressive and most submissive, something we humans like a lot in dogs...

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't know about alpha loach behavior, the 20 I have vary from 4-8" and do the same thing. They like company. Maybe it's a natural trait to bewilder predators in their natural environment. I have noticed my smallest loaches tend to hang out in the middle of the bunch or underneath them.

Reactions: Coryloach

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Maybe the little guy likes full figured girls. My balas get pretty personal. I will post a picture of my big female after a wild night when I get my phone later. Right now I am to lazy to go upstairs and get it

Reactions: Coryloach

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Here is Lard, my 9-10" female. She is twice the weight of the 7" males but doesn't seek to avoid their nibbling. Sometimes she does nibble back though and you can hear it across the room!WP_20161004_008.jpg

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Maybe the little guy likes full figured girls.
Ha ha. Thats must be it :) The other day when the largest loach i have had "gone to bed" the second largest goes to his cave and starts clicking loudly. It sounded as if taking chunks out of the plastic tube the other was asleep in. He literally kicked him out of bed and then the two started swimming around together happily ever after:)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
so I've been observing... I am sure I haven't discovered anything new...

But to me its like seeing my clown loaches for the first time. Seeing them from above is totally different....the reason being is they don't see me or anyone else. :)

So I noticed that when I put food they start the same shadowing behaviour, they go along in couples...It's like one follows the other until they find food...It's different clowns pairing with whatever clown around. They swim tight as if they are stuck together. I spend the most time there when I have spare time and I feed them so I think its something to do with food and competition for it....

Their behaviour is really relaxed now in the dark pond...And they turn up their little faces to look at me, begging for food too. If you ever kept clowns you'd know how they look up to you and wave tails :)....

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
celebrist celebrist

That shark is beautiful...They have baby versions of them in the clown loach tank in the local shop but I don't think I can accommodate them. They swim with the loaches, really cute

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store