CL'S in 4 ft(95gallon) tank please help!

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
My tank 48 x 20x 24in almost a 4 x 2 x 2 ft tank 95gallons.In there are
5 CL'S 3.5iin 6 scissortail rasboras(always at the top so no worries) and I've got some small barbs that's it. (I used to have 5 silver dollars but I've rehomed them)
Now I completely agree that a 6 footer tank is more suitable for 5 clown loaches.
But unfortunately my wife says NO.! So I'm wondering has anyone here kept CL'S In a 4 ft tank for long term.
I mean actually kept a few. CL'S in a 4 ft tank for many years any issues and problems.
I know they get big and. I'm hoping sometime or someway in the future me wife will agree to me upgrading to a 6 ft tank.
Meanwhile I'm here with 5 clown loaches in a 4 ft tank.
So please advise gents
Thanks in advancea

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I wouldn't worry too much, you are more than fine at the minute. Given the growth rate of clowns you've got plenty of time to soften the missus up in regards to an eventual upgrade.

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
I wouldn't worry too much, you are more than fine at the minute. Given the growth rate of clowns you've got plenty of time to soften the missus up in regards to an eventual upgrade.
Buddy you're absolutely spot on ! I've been reading up on CL growth and yes they're real slow. I even read that the sumatran colourful species don't grow that big as the borneo species.!?(is this true.?)
Now my 5 CL'S I bought in early Dec they're 3.5inches and the reason I bought these particular group from a certain lfs was that they're super colourful ! And after reading around of red fins on the sumatra CL I'm quite confident mine are the sumatran ones.
Now if you or anybody else can confirm that the sumatran CL don't grow that big as the common CL? ! I'm just wondering Coz I'm also reading conflicting reports.
Also yesterday I rehomed my small 7pcs 1inch.snakeskin barbs to my regular lfs.(too aggressive) And it was at this lfs store I've rehomed my previous 5 pcs 2in striped silver dollars.
I actually repurchased 3 striped Sd's and put them back in tank all this Coz I'm confident sometime in the future me missus will say yes to my 6 footer!
And incidentally my 5 CL'S got so excited with the SD'S coming back they actually were out swimming around with them for a full 6 hours out in the open never before have I seen this.!
Now you may think I'm nuts but I do believe CL'S are a special breed of fish with complicating social behaviour and also with real emotions(hope that makes sense sigh.?)
Bill

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If you go into "bottom dwellers" in the advanced aquarists sub forum you will find a very good sticky from RD which is all about the sumatran and kalimantran clown loach. I'd link it for you but i'm thick and I don't know how!

Personally I wouldn't have reintroduced the silver dollars. They are an exceptionally active fish and most would agree that a longer tank than 4ft is better for them. If you like clown loaches that much I would have added more to the five you already have and just gone straight species only tank. That way the group social behaviour you mention could have been observed much better. I have five clowns in a 180 com tank and one day, as the other species die off from old age, I will introduce more clowns and eventually have a 180 clown loach only tank.

They are a truly beautiful and fascinating species, the only frustrating thing about them is that their growth rate is painfully slow. But on the plus side they can live for well over 20 years if looked after properly. As long as you keep on top of your water changes there's no reason why you can't have a good size shoal in that sized tank. Then years and years down the road when you need to thin them out you can sell some of them on for silly money, people will snatch your arm off for good sized clowns.

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
If you go into "bottom dwellers" in the advanced aquarists sub forum you will find a very good sticky from RD which is all about the sumatran and kalimantran clown loach. I'd link it for you but i'm thick and I don't know how!

Personally I wouldn't have reintroduced the silver dollars. They are an exceptionally active fish and most would agree that a longer tank than 4ft is better for them. If you like clown loaches that much I would have added more to the five you already have and just gone straight species only tank. That way the group social behaviour you mention could have been observed much better. I have five clowns in a 180 com tank and one day, as the other species die off from old age, I will introduce more clowns and eventually have a 180 clown loach only tank.

They are a truly beautiful and fascinating species, the only frustrating thing about them is that their growth rate is painfully slow. But on the plus side they can live for well over 20 years if looked after properly. As long as you keep on top of your water changes there's no reason why you can't have a good size shoal in that sized tank. Then years and years down the road when you need to thin them out you can sell some of them on for silly money, people will snatch your arm off for good sized clowns.
Buddy I read that sticky thread abt kalimantan n sumatra CL'S really it's a great thread lots of valuable info there thks so much.
But if someone here can say for sure abt the sumatran one not getting too big it would be great help. I mean what is the actual size difference between the two!? It would be great
Cheers buddy

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I even read that the sumatran colourful species don't grow that big as the borneo species.!?(is this true.?)
No, that's not true. In fact many of the larger CL's exported from SE Asia originate from Sumatra, as there is no max size limitation for export, where in Kalimantan the max export size restriction limit is 6". Time will be your best indicator as to when you need to upgrade your tank. For now I would just enjoy your fish, you have plenty of time to soften your wife up to the idea of a 6ft tank. :)

Bill Bajaj

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
No, that's not true. In fact many of the larger CL's exported from SE Asia originate from Sumatra, as there is no max size limitation for export, where in Kalimantan the max export size restriction limit is 6". Time will be your best indicator as to when you need to upgrade your tank. For now I would just enjoy your fish, you have plenty of time to soften your wife up to the idea of a 6ft tank. :)
Buddy actually I made a mistake after reading properly mine I believe mine are the ones from kalimantan the ones with red/orange pelvic fins they are more brightly coloured than the ones I've seen around. (I hope I'm right)
Whatever the case they are gorgeous.! And yes my 4 ft 95 gallon tank has 8 lovely CL'S I've rehomed the SD'S so it's jtst the clowns and 6 scissortail rasbora at the top.
And yes time is on my side and I'm very confident I'll soften and convince my wife sometime in future for a 6ft tank.
Must say I enjoy reading your posts and great info always from you and appreciate your time buddy.
Bill

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No worries, thanks Bill, and good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store