COCONUT CRABS FOR SALE?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
true. i think if u can get them there are many people who want them.
plus i was right! they r the crab that gets massive!!

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
If I had the facilities I'd love to have a few of those guys. It seems like it would be hard to design an escape-proof cage for something so potentially destructive; you would have to be very attentive to cage design.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Noto;3719593; said:
If I had the facilities I'd love to have a few of those guys. It seems like it would be hard to design an escape-proof cage for something so potentially destructive; you would have to be very attentive to cage design.
Im sure a glass, or wood tank would work fine. An enclosure like that wouldnt give them the ability to grab the sides in order to break it.

So these guys are illegal in the US? :(

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
A coconut crab can hammer its way into a coconut; I believe it could also hammer its way out of a glass tank or even a lightly-built wood cage. Hinges and ventilation would also be vulnerable to attack.

The crab is on the IUCN invertebrate red list as "data deficient". I don't know what the legal consequences of that classification are.

EricIvins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2009
Florida
What nobody realizes is the fact that you'd have $65 or more worth in freight on each one coming into the country, so you'd be literally looking at paying $300 per Crab, if not more. They can easily break your standard shipping crate, any kind of glass, and then some..............Point blank, the logistics and liability just aint' worth it..........

With the way things are going, I'd get them into the Country, try to sell them for $300, just to have people tell me they want to pay $50, including shipping............You do the math on that one.........

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
If you could manage to breed them, that might still be worthwhile. Could be tricky though. Buying juveniles would also be much more economically sensible.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
EricIvins;3719686; said:
What nobody realizes is the fact that you'd have $65 or more worth in freight on each one coming into the country, so you'd be literally looking at paying $300 per Crab, if not more. They can easily break your standard shipping crate, any kind of glass, and then some..............Point blank, the logistics and liability just aint' worth it..........

With the way things are going, I'd get them into the Country, try to sell them for $300, just to have people tell me they want to pay $50, including shipping............You do the math on that one.........
Valid points you have here,maybe you could get some smaller ones which would be cheaper and less problematic to ship.Their claws could be binded shut with rubber bands for transport, I've seen it done with other large crabs.You could take deposits once you know what you could get,the smaller ones are the way to go and you seem to have some serious connections.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Noto;3719630; said:
A coconut crab can hammer its way into a coconut; I believe it could also hammer its way out of a glass tank or even a lightly-built wood cage. Hinges and ventilation would also be vulnerable to attack.

They dont have pliers for pincers,I'd like to see what one of them would do with a wood and chicken wire cage.

The crab is on the IUCN invertebrate red list as "data deficient". I don't know what the legal consequences of that classification are.
That might be a problem.

Noto;3719691; said:
If you could manage to breed them, that might still be worthwhile. Could be tricky though. Buying juveniles would also be much more economically sensible.
They are land crabs but they return to the ocean to breed,another vproblem.

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
why not just get little ones

and make like the tank like all these plywood builds and have some thick glass like 2"+ thick

or is that just dumb
honestly i think that they couldnt get though 2"+ glass even at adult size

EricIvins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2009
Florida
krichardson;3719701; said:
Valid points you have here,maybe you could get some smaller ones which would be cheaper and less problematic to ship.Their claws could be binded shut with rubber bands for transport, I've seen it done with other large crabs.You could take deposits once you know what you could get,the smaller ones are the way to go and you seem to have some serious connections.

Unfortunately, business doesn't work like that anymore.......Nobody wants to front money on something they can't see........Once they can see, they want 10 pictures of every angle and every little minute detail.......The retail market sucks 100%, and I, like many others, don't want to fork out money over something that I'm not sure about.......I've lost my ass too many times this year over stuff that I could've sold last year at full retail, in a day or so..........I literally had 10 people say they were going to send me money over the weekend, but none, again none, came through........Thats starting to get off into another subject, but it is what it is.......Alot of the "cool" stuff is going to be a thing of the past here soon........Nobody wants to lay the money down, bring the stuff in, just to have it sit around.........I'm doing that way too much as it is, right now..............

And.......You get what's collected.......You can request this and that, but in the end, you get what they send. Whether that be small, medium, large, or jumbo.............

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store