Coelotilapia joka?

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Does anybody have any info on these? They look like little buttikoferi which I find really cool!

Reactions: Deadeye

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
A friend of mine bred them several times. A really nice fish with alot of interessting behaviour.
They might look a bit like buttikoferi but stay way smaller and are way less aggressive but still can stand their ground. Unfortunately like buttikoferi they loose their stripes when they grow older. But they get very nice looking fins.
They need soft and slighly acidic water (The only reason I don't keep them).
They love to eat plants. Especilly duck weed.
They don't like too warm water.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
A friend of mine bred them several times. A really nice fish with alot of interessting behaviour.
They might look a bit like buttikoferi but stay way smaller and are way less aggressive but still can stand their ground. Unfortunately like buttikoferi they loose their stripes when they grow older. But they get very nice looking fins.
They need soft and slighly acidic water (The only reason I don't keep them).
They love to eat plants. Especilly duck weed.
They don't like too warm water.
boo acidic water! Thanks man!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They are considered algae scrapers in nature, so mostly vegetarian, the waters they come from in Liberia and Sierra Leone are usually considered quite soft, and mineral free, temps very stable in the mid to upper 70s. They were quite popular in the late 80s when I first ran into them as Tilapia joka, and although small, can be very aggressive.
They are found in the same waters as some of the members of the Pelmatochromis genus.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store