Coffee, anyone?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Just curious if anyone has ever used, researched, or experimented with coffee grounds with their aquarium. Seems like it would be help soften water as well as add a bit of tannins. I heard that it might be rich in plant nutrients. Anyone think it's safe?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just curious if anyone has ever used, researched, or experimented with coffee grounds with their aquarium. Seems like it would be help soften water as well as add a bit of tannins. I heard that it might be rich in plant nutrients. Anyone think it's safe?

I personally would use Coffee if it was safe. Instant Blackwater for sure.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Seen a few use it and does have the same effect as peat moss. Not sure about long term use though.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
RD. RD. Any experience?

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've heard of people trying coffee, without much reporting on results, especially not long term. I very briefly tried tea bags many years ago, the experiment didn't last long, they didn't do much to stain a tankful of water at the low input levels I was willing to risk trying. More traditional methods worked a lot better.

That said, I've since seen suggestions in science literature of caffeine causing problems including defects in fry and stress responses in the general fish population, and evidence caffeine creates water quality problems and encourages growth of certain pathogenic or ammonia producing bacteria in a tank. ( article ) Contrast this with more traditional aquatic tannin sources which are often mildly antiseptic.

My understanding (or reading) is this hasn't been extensively studied, so I don't know how conclusive some of this is, but what I've seen is enough for me. At this point, without some strong and authoritative evidence to the contrary, I wouldn't do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store