Cold water pleco

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2007
central pennsylvania
there are alot of types of plecos, some of which are scale eaters. namely the zebra pleco. Many fish in sa eat scales many are tetras but some plecos also eats scales. didnt mean the slime coat all plecos will do this if they are not fed properly.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
stonecat;766920; said:
there are alot of types of plecos, some of which are scale eaters. namely the zebra pleco. Many fish in sa eat scales many are tetras but some plecos also eats scales. didnt mean the slime coat all plecos will do this if they are not fed properly.
Yes, this is true. I was refering to plecos in general. I have a feeling she isen't going to be running into a vampire pleco and be sticking it with her goldfish anytime soon.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
sandtiger;767075;767075 said:
Yes, this is true. I was refering to plecos in general. I have a feeling she isen't going to be running into a vampire pleco and be sticking it with her goldfish anytime soon.
Vampire is a term only used due to the teeth, but this fish actually prefers veggies to meat. A zebra is a more carnivorous plec than a vampire.

Many species of common plec will become carnivorous and actively hunt other fish. This is not a sign of improper feeding, but just part of their nature. I have had several do this, even with market shrimp in the tank. This behavior is not stoppable by feeding something different, but rather just something the fish will do.

I would personally go with SAE's, oto's or chaetostoma species.

COL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2006
San Diego
I would agree that once a plec begins to go on a sucking streak, it is generally not capable of being remedied, although I've never heard of anything like this happen with much frequency. Zebra plecs feed primarily on small invertebrates and fruit in the wild--I've not heard of them being scale biters, and my experience with the hypancistrus genus seems to confirm this. However, leporacanthicus are VERY heavy meat eaters and are avid invert hunters, including snails, nymphs, and sponges. They are certainly just as inclined to feed on protein as are hypancistrus.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
WyldFya;767109; said:
Vampire is a term only used due to the teeth, but this fish actually prefers veggies to meat. A zebra is a more carnivorous plec than a vampire.

Many species of common plec will become carnivorous and actively hunt other fish. This is not a sign of improper feeding, but just part of their nature. I have had several do this, even with market shrimp in the tank. This behavior is not stoppable by feeding something different, but rather just something the fish will do.

I would personally go with SAE's, oto's or chaetostoma species.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. I have kept dozens of commons and never had a problem with them going after other fish. The only commons I know of that go after live fish are not properly fed. Sure, they will eat market shrimp, or dead fish not activly hunting down live fish is something I don't have experiance with. I will agree though that once it starts it is difficult to stop.

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
sandtiger;767428; said:
I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. I have kept dozens of commons and never had a problem with them going after other fish. The only commons I know of that go after live fish are not properly fed. Sure, they will eat market shrimp, or dead fish not activly hunting down live fish is something I don't have experiance with. I will agree though that once it starts it is difficult to stop.
I think though that it could also be something that the pleco might discover accidentally - say, akin to a goldfish accidentally discovering how to eat eyes ;)

The problem with goldfish is that they aren't that fast (in general, obviously depends on the breed) and have a nice wide suckable surface. I've definately heard stories of them getting munched on but it's never happened to me. I do think that it's possible for a well-fed pleco to go over to the slime coat dark side, but agree that it's probably more rare for a well fed plec than an unfed one.

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
COL;766897; said:
Chaetostoma prefer unheated tanks, as do farlowella, and several subtropical otocinclus species.
thanks COL! i already have a Chaetostoma sp. in there but it looks like i might just have to get a few more.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
sandtiger;767428;767428 said:
I personally guarantee that none of my plecos has ever been malnourished, or improperly fed. I have had 3 plecs go to this stage, 2 commons, and 1 chocolate. It isn't the norm as stated earlier, but it does happen. This behavior isn't triggered by feeding types. Of the 60 or so common/chocolate plecs I have had only 3 have become hunters. Just because it doesn't happen to you, does not mean that it has to be the one way you have had it happen. :thumbsup:

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
COL;767363;767363 said:
I would agree that once a plec begins to go on a sucking streak, it is generally not capable of being remedied, although I've never heard of anything like this happen with much frequency. Zebra plecs feed primarily on small invertebrates and fruit in the wild--I've not heard of them being scale biters, and my experience with the hypancistrus genus seems to confirm this. However, leporacanthicus are VERY heavy meat eaters and are avid invert hunters, including snails, nymphs, and sponges. They are certainly just as inclined to feed on protein as are hypancistrus.
I agree that leporacanthicus are generally heavy meat eaters, however, the 3 vampires I have had, have always preferred vegetation over meaty foods.

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
WyldFya;767837; said:
I personally guarantee that none of my plecos has ever been malnourished, or improperly fed. I have had 3 plecs go to this stage, 2 commons, and 1 chocolate. It isn't the norm as stated earlier, but it does happen. This behavior isn't triggered by feeding types. Of the 60 or so common/chocolate plecs I have had only 3 have become hunters. Just because it doesn't happen to you, does not mean that it has to be the one way you have had it happen. :thumbsup:
:iagree:

they can become hunters, my dad has a huge common that has become a hunter. he has to keep it by itself because it devoured everything he tried to put in there, from green terrors to pacus. no kidding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store