Cold weather and an acrylic tank

crawdaddy905

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2008
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Hi
Would it be good for the tank to store, empty, under my deck with a tarp over it to protect from U.V in -30 C or -22 F for the winter? -30 C we only get for a few days, most times it's -15 C or 5 F
I live in Brampton really close to Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

LoriA

Feeder Fish
Jul 1, 2019
I'd be afraid it would get brittle, or if any moisture at all got in the joints it could freeze and expand the joint.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It’s fine. Keep it upside down with a tarp over it. I had a 500, 240, 200 acrylic outside during winter as well. Barrie Ontario -30 degrees no issues

crawdaddy905

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2008
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
It’s fine. Keep it upside down with a tarp over it. I had a 500, 240, 200 acrylic outside during winter as well. Barrie Ontario -30 degrees no issues

Why up side down?
I have 2 very heavy cut outs for the top, can't I just use them and keep it up right?
How many winters did you have them outside?
So I guess from reading your reply you have them inside with fish in them now?
Right now the tank is in a one car garage, empty, and I will be getting my car back from the college paint dept in the mid Oct to Nov 2019.
And I might add I just moved into my once a rental house and it's need some major renovations. Just no room in the house to place the 300.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If water goes inside it wil freeze, expand and pop the bottom. Happened to one of the 240s which was shrink wrapped. Flip it upside down and there’s no chance of moisture getting inside.

LoriA

Feeder Fish
Jul 1, 2019
Where do you live?
Have you ever done this?
Atlantic Canada, it gets COLD lol
Nope, my acrylic lives inside. But recall posts when I was researching before buying acrylic. Just one of those odd things that stays in my head...

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
ok
How many winters did you have them outside?
So I guess from reading your reply you have them inside with fish in them now?
All were outside over 1 winter. I’m from Ontario Canada, occasional -40 days. All still hold water, only one that didn’t was the one that was not upside down.

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store