Collapsible soft Caves

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
My wife created a head cave that she measured to fit the small opening of our 55 gallon acrylic but which still provided good hiding space for your 8" cichlid who loved another head that she outgrew. She used a non-toxic ceramic that some aquariums use. It is starting to get more algae on it since this photo was taken. It doesn't look it from the angle of this photo but she fits completely inside and can swim through the top. The material is completely safe for fish and comes in a bunch of colors and can be shaped into anything you like.

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Cool. It's too bad there's no sculpty clay that's aquarium safe, everything I've seen has to be ceramic you bake. I think there's a product they use for zoos and public aquariums but it might be pricey.

What's the name of the stuff your wife used?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So here's the update on the soft caves.

Supplies are Pond Foam sheets, 1"
Repti waterproof vines
Nylon plastic thread and oversize needles
jumbo rubber bands
old pvc hide to use as a 'wrap' for the vines

On tap:
10lbs large river rock (haven't decided whether to use for anchor)

I'm considering using slate instead to anchor. Don't know how buoyant this foam is although the vines will help with the weight.

Starting off with the supplies:

P1.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Unwrapping the vines. They will shed some rubber, but are aquarium safe. They come in large, medium and small. I got the small for easier bends to shape. All sizes are 6ft long.

P2.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Here are the incomplete cave forms. I will be stitching the edges at the bottom together with the nylon thread. Slate will be glued to the bottom. The openings are roughly 8" in diameter. The rubber bands were snipped off after the foam was added. These will likely have to soak.

Thinking about either spray layering with Krylon Fusion to give a more 'mossy' effect

OR

Sprinkling sand/gravel with glue. Problem is I don't know if tube silicone spreads with a brush to do this. Pond paint?

P5.jpg

P6.jpg

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Cool. It's too bad there's no sculpty clay that's aquarium safe, everything I've seen has to be ceramic you bake. I think there's a product they use for zoos and public aquariums but it might be pricey.
Zoopoxy made by Polygem is rather spendy in large quantities.

On another note, do you have any concerns about the filter foam possibly damaging the slime coats of your fish?
1634765087464.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store