Collecting Bowfin?

Fish_Man_Dan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
fort lauderdale, FL
I run the aquaculture facility at my school, and we have a 1000 gallon setup consisting of two 500 gallon tanks connected by the filter, so the water mixes. one is invasive species to FL (two oscars, a midas, 4 blue tilapia, a mayan, and a jewel cichlid, all adults). the other tank has native fish to FL, some wild caught, some donated by a hatchery (about 6 young channel cats about 8-10 inches long, a freshwater goby of some type, a couple redears about 4", two green suns at 3", and a larger mystery sunfish with a big mouth... resembles a warmouth but has green sun pattern)

my actual question was concerning bowfin though... where can i catch one? i would like to catch a young one, but if i catch a larger fish that poses an immediate threat to the other fish, i can remove the smaller ones...

anyone know were i can get a Bowfin?!

Fish_Man_Dan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
fort lauderdale, FL
thanks! i just might check out the spot off of 869 and atlantic... its the closest one to me... btw, do these guys only eat live food, or can they be trained to eat pellets?

D12DetroitD12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Monroe, Michigan/Toledo, Ohio
Fish_Man_Dan;4890920; said:
thanks! i just might check out the spot off of 869 and atlantic... its the closest one to me... btw, do these guys only eat live food, or can they be trained to eat pellets?
Mine ate pellets, cut shrimp, cut tilapia and live mollies. so most likely yes they will.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
they are angry fishes. you most likly will get one at 3"+- or 14"+ i have yet to find the midground. they just vanish. one really really good way to get them is to take dead suckers and drag them on the bottom with a single hook.

Fish_Man_Dan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
fort lauderdale, FL
sounds like great advice from experienced bowfin keepers/fishers! thanks so much, and any other tips and tricks are more than welcome! maybe i can go this weekend... :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store