Collecting the Rio Chorrera

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
IMG_2850.jpegIMG_3749.jpeg
Tues June 6th Dani (guide, driver, and expert net caster) and I headed about an hour west of Panama City, over the Bridge to the Americas to explore collecting possibilities in the Rio Chorrera.
Because it is just the beginning of the rainy season water is still low, but is moving must faster than the rivers I’ve been collecting over the last few months.
The color of the water is muddy, pH has dropped lower than it has been, down to what my eyes perceive as @ 7.4, and nitrate is slightly elevated. Left tube is pH ( 7.4 ) right tube nitrate (closing in on 5 ppm ).
IMG_2856.jpeg
We started collecting below the waterfall, in the countercurrent zone, and in open spots the rapids.
3b7d146a-475c-4dd9-89d6-ca605f412975.jpeg
In this area, each cast seemed to pull up at least one large Pleco.
9ed79a01-143e-473c-868f-c58ff7e45ee4.jpegIMG_2868.jpeg

These Plecos are listed in my field guide (Peces de las Aguas Continentales de Costa Rica), by Bussing, as Hypostomus panamensus, and were easily longer than the 12" diameter (30 cm) opening of my 5 gallon buck
They were too large to keep,
Later we tried netting in the area above the waterfall, and only caught small tetras, and the net kept getting snagged on sunken branches, so we moved on.

On the way back, passing over the Rio Pedro Miguel, and so far empty handed, we climbed down the steep embankment to see if anything had changed.
IMG_3556.jpeg
In stead of the tetras, and catfish caught back in March, different, much larger tetras were the most common now, they were minimally 4 inches and larger, up to almost 8".
IMG_6659.jpegIMG_6654.jpegIMG_6653.jpeg
These tetras have a very unique long jaw line compared to the normal jaw formation of most tetras in Panama, leading me to believe they may be Bramocharax bransfordii, (AKA Astyanax) known commonly as the long jaw Tetra, or here in Panama as Sardina picuda.
b5f5ef1f-c9bf-4b39-b453-7c4ce05ea639.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The first night after collection, seems to be fairly critical for survival of freshly caught fish.
The stress of being netted, at least 4 hours in transit, and new surroundings all make an impact.
Being dropped in with other tetras, has seemed to help, and so far, the Bramocharax have all survived.
My tank has been inundated with tannins over the last week, so its hard to see more than a few inches in, and those tannins have influenced the color in the photo.
But i was able to get 1 relatively reasonable shot, out of about 50 taken.
IMG_2916.jpegIMG_2916.jpeg

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Looking out across some of the jungle-ish shots in your photos make me think that some of those areas have got to be snake infested and have a few evil reptiles lurking in them. You ever encounter that kind of thing in your collection trips?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
So far, haven't run into any snakes, so the rumors of my death are slightly exaggerated.
Basilisk lizards are very common and as we approach a site, one of the first bits of action are them running to the other side of the river, on the waters surface..
In a few places i have been eyed up as a potential meal, and Dani has had to help me free myself when stuck in knee deep mud.
IMG_2013.jpeg
c495d266-4ab2-42b1-9df0-ceff50dca970.jpegd0d43c98-18d9-4ca0-b51e-1a69323f8de1.jpeg
I may be delusional, but being a 73 year old geezer, I worry more about getting wrenched between and falling on some of the slippery algae covered rocks, and trying to get up some of these, sometimes mud slick, embankments to the road above, little a daunting.
IMG_6041.jpeg.

Reactions: Milingu

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I like reptiles; meeting those guys on an excursion would be a huge plus for me, not a negative. :)

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Check your meds. Those things are disgusting.

At 61*N we have none. Lucky me!
Wow, you are up north! No reptiles at all? Sounds dull. :)

I at one time was heavily into breeding several types of snakes and lizards; don't do it anymore mainly because of the use of wood for heat, which isn't particularly consistent.

We just took our youngest granddaughters to visit the Narcisse Snake Pits recently; I believe it is the largest single-species natural amassment of reptiles anywhere in the world. Literally thousands of Eastern Garter Snakes coming up out of the deep stone crevices where they hibernate, all of them lookin' for love. Big females buried in piles of smaller males, squirming like living black-and-yellow spaghetti. We loved it! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store