Columbian tetras with angelfish

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I know columbians can be fin nippers

I was gonna try my luck with 4 blue Angels and 15 columbians in a 75 with some other tankmates. Anyone have problems or issues with these 2 together?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Columbia tetra are little piranha with similar body shape and visible teeth. In a large group, they tend to pay more attention to one another than the angels. In a small group or the angels are small and show weakness, they may bully them.

IME, most tall body tetra are aggressive. Truly peaceful tetra are small, slender body type such as neon, black neon, cardinal, rummynose, bloodfin, etc but they look like and may become bait fish for angels.

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
Colombian tetra are large. While I haven't tried my hand at colombians myself, that means if you get nippers they're going to do a ton of damage, and they would be more confident with nipping an angel. I've kept angels with serpaes and black skirts in a 75g, both of which are notorious nippers but are much smaller tetras. The larger the school, the less fin nipping there was on the angels but there always was some degree of biting so my angels lost their streamers. At the end of the day its your call but I personally wouldn't risk it.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
What large sized schooling tetra from south america would you guys suggest. I was thinking diamond tetras. Any other ideas?

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
So I did some more research on columbians. It seems that while they are usually described as notorious fin nippers, I can find no anecdotal evidence of it. Conversely, all anecdotes point to them being very peaceful.

Black phantoms are incredibly peaceful and a personal favourite, although while they are deep bodied, they don't hold a candle in size to other large tetras. I have found that penguin tetras are fairly long and good peaceful schoolers. I hear good things about Emperor tetras too.

The jumbo sized species like Diamonds and Buenos Aires can all be nippy. Especially Buenos Aires. But remember that the greater the school, the less nipping there would be.

If I were you and you're hellbent on tetras, I'd suggest a school of rummynoses, but they seem smaller than what you want.

I'd look in other fish groups. Barbs are a good place to start (other than tiger barbs).

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
So I did some more research on columbians. It seems that while they are usually described as notorious fin nippers, I can find no anecdotal evidence of it. Conversely, all anecdotes point to them being very peaceful.

Black phantoms are incredibly peaceful and a personal favourite, although while they are deep bodied, they don't hold a candle in size to other large tetras. I have found that penguin tetras are fairly long and good peaceful schoolers. I hear good things about Emperor tetras too.

The jumbo sized species like Diamonds and Buenos Aires can all be nippy. Especially Buenos Aires. But remember that the greater the school, the less nipping there would be.

If I were you and you're hellbent on tetras, I'd suggest a school of rummynoses, but they seem smaller than what you want.

I'd look in other fish groups. Barbs are a good place to start (other than tiger barbs).
Thank you for the extra research and ur input.
I dont necessarily need tetras but thought it would be nice to have an active smaller school in the tank. The plan was

Geo red head tapajos for the bottom
Blue Angel's for the top
Blue phantom pleco
and 1 school of larger tetras to fill in

I wanted to stick with the south american theme so barbs wouldnt work.

I do love rummynose tetras and love the way they school. But I already have a school of them in my planted 75 gallon.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
I havent done columbians with angels, but ive got 15 in my mixed sa tank and they occasionally chase each other with no agression to any tankmates. They are crazy at feeding time, but thats just because they all go after the food at once

Reactions: SandNukka15

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Maybe Bleeding hearts? Grows to 2.5 inches, while I have not had any yet I want some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store