common diseases for saltwater ray?

porksoda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
philippines
hi its my first time to own a saltwater ray and i bought the blue spotted one have him for about 2 months and he was doing fine until now i noticed some changes... i've removed the other fishes and put them in a QT cos of some whitespot problems... ive heard rays are not immuned to ich.... was wondering if my ray now has some kind of a problem i cant quite pinpoint exactly... he shows heavy breathing and losing some color in his tail, and hes not as active as before, also noticed loose/ sort of wrinkly skin in some parts... ive changed his diet from guppies to shrimp and cut fish, he seems to be eating okay but im worried he might have some disease he got from my other fishes...:confused: what exactly are the most common diseases for saltwater rays and how to treat them? any help would be great!!!! :D

Brenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Well first off "Blue Spotted" Stingrays are known to do badly in captivity. No one I know has been able to keep one for very long. The wrinkly skin you talk about could be the "death curl". What are his/her tankmates? They may be stressing the ray for example triggers, angels, and butterflies are not good tankmates. Post us some pictures we can help you out more. And visit the link in my signature for a lot more advice.

porksoda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
philippines
no present tankmates... i removed all the other fishes, but the first time i got him he was with a bat fish, lion fish, and two other forgot what kind... they all got sick so now the ray's the only one in the tank... ill post pics later thanks...

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
porksoda;697884; said:
no present tankmates... i removed all the other fishes, but the first time i got him he was with a bat fish, lion fish, and two other forgot what kind... they all got sick so now the ray's the only one in the tank... ill post pics later thanks...
If everything got "sick" id say its your water parameters... you change the water???

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Good luck with a blue spot. They're the toughest ray to keep.
As for the spots, could be crypt, could be something else fungal based. A pic would be a great help.
What was it eating? What vitamin supplement are you using? How about iodine supplement?

porksoda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
philippines

here are the pics... im currently giving him LiquiFit as supplements... prepared fish and frozen shrimps..thanks for your help..

porksoda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2007
philippines
thanks! over here its pretty cheap..got it for P500 so its about $10 :)
any comments? is the loose skin normal or is that what u call the death curl? or is he just a bit skinny?

blue_pill85

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2006
peoria il
IME they dont eat enough, meaning they appear to eat but keep gettin skinnier.... usually takes 2-3 months and the damn its skinny crap its dead. but damn I paid like 40 bucks wholesale!!! that is the experience of quite a few blue spot attempters.

EDIT: looks like death curl to me man. sorry.

and not to be a jerk but even more so for s/w rays SUGAR sand not gravel that probly has a lot to do with it too, plus copper pipes are damnation

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Your animal is very skinny. It needs the diet increased greatly. I would also strongly suggest a shark/ray vitamin supplement as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store