Common name for Erthrinus

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA

Whats the common name for this thing? Give me any and all info you got. :headbang2

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The only thing I found is that it is from Peruvian amazon area and possibly related to the rivulus group of killiefish, I found 1 listing of it and that was as Ertrinus sp.133, here is a pic from that site (gone wild peru), a wholesaler that offers collecting trips into the Madre de Dios region of Peru.

img1.jpg

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
some common names i've heard used are rainbow wolf fish or red fin wolf fish..

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Rainbow wolffish sure looklike them but are listed as a varient of Hoplias malabaricus in everything I have found so far

Oddbal863.jpg

Fruitbat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2004
Definitely Erythrinus and, as already mentioned, it is frequently called the rainbow wolf fish. Definitely NOT, however, related to the Rivulin killifish. All of the Wolf Fish are Characoids, most closely related to the tetras, etc.

-Joe

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Fruitbat said:
Definitely Erythrinus and, as already mentioned, it is frequently called the rainbow wolf fish. Definitely NOT, however, related to the Rivulin killifish. All of the Wolf Fish are Characoids, most closely related to the tetras, etc.

-Joe
Well, I did say possibly, heheh, the site I thought might say that had them listed by scientific names in the same sentence but the rest of the article was in the cryllic alphabet in what I think was russian.
So, is Erythrinus the species name or the genus or the family? Is it one of the hoplias? and if so is it a varient or a different species than malabaricus?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Aren't they commonly called 'Shuyo Red' in South America?

I like Rainbow Wolf better.. Who wants some? :)

Fruitbat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2004
Erythrinus is the name of the genus (and in this case is likely also the species name because that looks a lot like Erythrinus erythrinus). Along with the other Wolf Fish (Hoplias and Hoploerythrinus species) these fish are in the Family Erythrinidae of the Order Characiformes (which includes, among others : Tetras, Piranhas, African Tiger Fish, African 'Pikes', and Payaras).

Hope this helps.

-Joe

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Thanks Fruitbat I was confused, I should learn russian,,,and cantanese, cambobian, thai, vietnamese, german, + dutch. I keep finding good sites I can't read!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store