Common Snapper x Alligator Snapping Turtle??

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Amazing !!! They are also very nice looking!
Is it possible to sex a common at 4"? Am going to try to raise the two at the same time (in different tanks obviously) so later on I don't have to go looking for 12yr old alligator snapper lol

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
Zfishies;5034770; said:
Amazing !!! They are also very nice looking!
Is it possible to sex a common at 4"? Am going to try to raise the two at the same time (in different tanks obviously) so later on I don't have to go looking for 12yr old alligator snapper lol

Its hard to do until they get a bit bigger. You can guess but you probably can't be 100% sure. The common should grow like a weed compared to the gator snapper.

Those hybrid turtles are amazing looking. You said that was a mistake? Were the male and female of the different species just housed together and he never expected they could breed?

Creek_stomper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Joe M;5034805; said:
Those hybrid turtles are amazing looking. You said that was a mistake? Were the male and female of the different species just housed together and he never expected they could breed?
It was a pond situation, so yeah there were multiple species. They bred several years in a row without his knowledge and in the spring, *poof* hybrid hatchlings everywhere.

Josh H

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
I think theres a good chance of it being genetically possible. I see many hybrids that are from different genus. ive seen a 3 way hybrid from 3 different genus.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
My bet on this is that it is possible, turtles that split apart many million years ago are still able to interbreed. Many different Cuora, Mauremys, Chinemys, Ocadia and Heosemys hibrids have appeared over the years, both in captivity and in the wild, just as example. However evidence shows that it is very unlikely you will acomplish this mating, common snappers and aligator snappers inhabit the same habitat in the states they both ocurr in. If this was an easy to produce hibrid at least some would have already surffaced like in the same way you see Graptemys, Pseudemys and Trachemys combos every now and then. Anatomic and behavior differences are surely the cause. Your best bet would be for you to get a HUGE male comon and put it alongside a sexually mature smaller size ali snapper, but even then it may never happen. I would also be very suspicious of anyone claming to have such hibrid, hard evidence is needed.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Zfishies;5034183; said:
what if you got the sperm of the common?(vise versa) but how? and then how would u er... "place it in" the alligator
I'm already closing one eye on testtube babies, but testtube turtles? HELL NO!

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
coura;5045452; said:
My bet on this is that it is possible, turtles that split apart many million years ago are still able to interbreed. Many different Cuora, Mauremys, Chinemys, Ocadia and Heosemys hibrids have appeared over the years, both in captivity and in the wild, just as example. However evidence shows that it is very unlikely you will acomplish this mating, common snappers and aligator snappers inhabit the same habitat in the states they both ocurr in. If this was an easy to produce hibrid at least some would have already surffaced like in the same way you see Graptemys, Pseudemys and Trachemys combos every now and then. Anatomic and behavior differences are surely the cause. Your best bet would be for you to get a HUGE male comon and put it alongside a sexually mature smaller size ali snapper, but even then it may never happen. I would also be very suspicious of anyone claming to have such hibrid, hard evidence is needed.

:iagree:

Couldn't have said that any better.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Anatomic and behavior differences are surely the cause.
Yeeep, when two species inhabit the same range, there are a number of behavioural barriers that prevent hybridization. However, in captivity you have the opportunity to alter that...like the various colubrid snake hybrids that exist.

Although the species may be similar, breeding may be difficult or impossible. Look at the Argentine Red tegu and Black/White tegu, very similar species from the same area, but I've never heard of hybridization.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store