Common Wolf Fish with Snake heads

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Ty out do
This dog is tiny. He is eating the snakehead like its a piece of chicken.
You do know that Goliath have been known to take chunks out of Nile Crocs right? What other fish would do that? What ur showing is possible but a total different story when ur talking about a big Goliath. I don't post vids on here but I did add to a post on wolf fish where u can see the wolf. Look up my name with wolf fish same thing as with the Goliath

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
Wow never knew that.
Lets see a tiger fish take a chunk out of a full grown nile? Lots of animals eat baby crocs including herons, otters, lizards baboons, rats, hawks snakes etc.. No fish poses a threat to an adult nile. I would have to see it. I know eagles will take adult tiger fish that are too heavy for them to fly off with and end up dragging them to shore by swimming. Tiger fish and wolf fish seem to have much more scary teeth than snakeheads but there is no way a 12 foot nile croc is not going to eat them. We had a outdoor thousand gallon pond and racooons killed off everything including giant snake heads and black wolf fish. Herons stabbed the fish in the head over and over but were not big enough to eat or carry them off. It was a nightmare. Vampire fish and tiger fish were too fragile for the pond. The only fish actually that could hurt adult crocs are bull sharks. If tiger fish were that deadly posing a threat to crocs we would have cases of them eating people by now. Catfish and great cudas are the only fish I have read ripping apart adult men. Top predators are able to take kill and eat people. Lions, Crocs, giant snakes, etc... Otters are not top predators and they pose the biggest risk to large predatory fish.

Tiger fish from what I have read are not aggressive the way wolf fish or snake heads are.

Last edited:

ryanstef

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
If you raise them from a young age, It is possible to keep them together, but you must continue to feed them until they are satisfied or you will lose one.

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Have you ever kept a snakehead? It doesn't sound like you have.

Snakehead teeth are not as spectacular as a wolf fish but they perform pretty much the same. They can grip prey tightly as well as rip through flesh. I've seen videos of giant snakeheads tearing feeder catfish in half rather cleanly.

Also, I'm curious what species of snakehead that cat is hunting, considering that appears to be a jaguar. Would you be kind enough to tell me what species of snakehead has a shared distribution with jaguars? That's right, NONE. No snakeheads are native to South America.

In terms of aggression, it depends on the species and individual but most of the larger snakeheads will be as aggressive or more aggressive than a wolf imo.

Also, your argument is super flawed. I feel like you are trying to downplay the aggression/character of a snakehead by showing how a tiny dog is attacking it. Have you even considered that the snakehead is both exhausted from being fished and vulnerable out of the water? That somehow fairly proves that a snakehead is "weaker"?

The otters are pretty smart and hunt together. The giant snakehead was outnumbered and outsmarted. Does that mean the snakehead is "weak" or easily picked on? Not at all.

This thread seems more like a "who would win in a fight" rather than a "can i cohabit this and this" situation.

I would not try cohabiting a snakehead and a wolf together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
Hello

I was not being serious. I was just trying to say basically fish like snake heads are not true top predators. Yes they are very impressive fish, but they are not at the top of the trophic level. Anyone with intelligence would agree with that. If a otter, or wild cat, or any large predatory bird happened to see an adult snake head or wolf fish and the predator was starving there is no way it would say "oh no that snake head is too big for me to attack" and not attack. I do not know if my video came up but there is a pack of baby otters with their mother. They all rush and attack a huge giant snake head. The fish once caught by the otters had no defense.

The dog in the video is so tiny. The dog is so small a pet cat could probably take out that dog. I am just showing it because just about any predator can take our fish if they really want to. The fish we have are not top predators. They are predators yeah. IT takes a hell of a beast to make it to the top of the trophic level and pet fish aren't one of them. Even groups of Piranha are often attacked by otters and birds.

Now that I made my point I agree that these fish are probably the most fierce and savage fish kept in our hobby. The only fish I can see rivalling them are alligator gars, Musky, (fresh water)

The jaguar hunting, I am just saying that with predators like that be it a Jaguar, or Leopard, or Puma or whatever large cat is native to the area is not going to avoid attacking a large fish when it can dive and see under water. I think these fish are very impressive but they are not real top predators. The two the snake heads and wolf fish both seem to be by far the most savage fish in the hobby. Tiger fish do not seem to be aggressive like the other two. I was just curious between these two species common wolf fish and large snake heads which usually comes out on top ?I Thought a wolf fish would as their teeth seem much larger and more formidable.

I do not consider the largest most aggressive cichlids anywhere near these 2 beasts. A dovii is like a goldfish compared to a large wolf fish. Also the black Piranha seems to be a large fierce fish as well. Curious how it would stack up against the others.

Yes I have kept snakeheads, payara, wolffish, gars, Tiger fish, I had a huge outdoor predator pond. But like I sad before It was really upsetting that predators ruined everything. The pond was five foot deep. I thought since they were not koi they would not be picked off as easy. It did not matter Great blue herons are 4 foot tall and killed so many of my fish by stabbing them because they were not large enough to eat them. Next time I have a outdoor pond I will make sure it has dogs to guard it.

Payara and tiger fish seem to be a lot more delicate than wolf fish or snake heads who are total beasts.

Last edited:

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Is a large sized snakehead able to bite off a finger of a person?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Is a large sized snakehead able to bite off a finger of a person?
Probably, but human fingers would not constitute a complete and balanced diet for such a fish.

This thread gets sillier and sillier as time passes...

• Haha
Reactions: Caveden
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store