Community/schooling/peaceful tank (unheated)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So I have an empty 75 gal and was thinking of what to do with it.

Id like to do either a peaceful community or some sort of schooling species. The tank is going to be temperate/unheated. Room temp would probably be somewhere between 65 and 78.

The possibilities are peppered corys, zebra danios, buenos ares tetra, flagfish, Rosy barbs, Danio margaritatus (celestial pearl danio) and mascara/filament Barb's.

20 danio margaritatus and some corys would be cool. Also like red ceibals but do want to do more of a small schooling peaceful scheme.

What would you guys stock it with ? Remember has to be able to live in cooler waters.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have an empty 75 gal and was thinking of what to do with it.

Id like to do either a peaceful community or some sort of schooling species. The tank is going to be temperate/unheated. Room temp would probably be somewhere between 65 and 78.

The possibilities are peppered corys, zebra danios, buenos ares tetra, flagfish, Rosy barbs, Danio margaritatus (celestial pearl danio) and mascara/filament Barb's.

20 danio margaritatus and some corys would be cool. Also like red ceibals but do want to do more of a small schooling peaceful scheme.

What would you guys stock it with ? Remember has to be able to live in cooler waters.

Have you considered White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'd say try for a native tank if you can, many of us underestimate local biodiversity and it makes for a nice biotope project as well if you're into that.

Otherwise, a lot of South American fish come from cooler waters, I'd look into those too
duanes duanes

Reactions: jhook and jaws7777

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Add a golden weather loach to your list.
Most of the fish mentioned should work, but I have to mention studfish and fallfish,the latter of which would eat smaller fishes,other fish to consider are your darters such as orangethroat and green sided darters.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
What do you mean cooler waters? My native tank gets down to 48 in the winter, and I don't see any fish on your list that I'd try that with.
Temp was mentioned in the op.

65 to 78. Unheated

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx for the suggestions guys. I'm gonna stay out of it for a while. I'd like to see what you all come up with

Reactions: tlindsey

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Just curious if you would want to do a planted tank? If that sounds like something you want to try, then I would get about 30 cardinal tetras and about 15-20 cories of some type.

If you’re not into the planted tank, then I would get about a dozen giant danios and maybe 8-10 of a larger size cory.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Being a one trick (cichlid) pony, my choice for an unheated, small, peaceful community would be a geographically correct Uruguayan tank with a quartet of Gymnogeophagus (1 male 3 females), a shoal of Buenos Aires Tetras, and some Uruguayan corys (such as erhardti)
Gymno quilero

or Gymno sp Paso Pache

Corydorus erhardti

This type community has been one of my favorite tanks.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yes I'd like to go with live plants. Nothing fancy. Water lettuce, Java moss, maybe some pennywort. I wanna do allot of 2 or 3 plants instead a Mish mosh of many different plants.

I like the idea of going with 2 species but larger numbers of each. Infact when I first thought of this the initial plan was 20 to 25 Danio margaritatus and a group of corys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store