community tank help the plez

Haiden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2018
i have a 60 gallon tank with a 5 inch oscar, 3 inch red devil, 2 inch carpinitis Texas, 3 inch green terror a jack Dempsey plus about 8 other small fish that aren't aggressive. I plan on buying a 150 gallon tank to move the fish I listed into it they are all pretty small right now and not aggressive towards eachother in wondering when they get larger and there is less of them will the fight? And kill each other?

Haiden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2018
i have a 60 gallon tank with a 5 inch oscar, 3 inch red devil, 2 inch carpinitis Texas, 3 inch green terror a jack Dempsey plus about 8 other small fish that aren't aggressive. I plan on buying a 150 gallon tank to move the fish I listed into it they are all pretty small right now and not aggressive towards eachother in wondering when they get larger and there is less of them will the fight? And kill each other?
I forgot to mention I keep up with water quality by doing 30 gallon water changes weekly with reverse osmosis water

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Unless your really lucky and get one with a calm personality, the Red Devil will probably kill the rest of them in a 150, once he hits maturity.

You might have a decent chance with the rest of the fish (assuming one of them doesn't get hyper aggressive). So watch the devil and if he turns hyper aggressive, remove him and see how it goes with the rest of them.

With Cichlids, it is impossible to predict exactly what will happen as each fish has a unique personality and even two fish from the same breed could have polar opposite personalities.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
that is going to be a full 150, Chances of it working 100% without you shuffling fish around is pretty slim. Communities of central American cichlids almost never work randomly, usually you have to tweak them by adding/subtracting fish until you get a balance that works. I would also predict the red devil or the texas cichlid would be the troublemaker. You won't know until you try I guess. Definitely wouldn't add any more fish than you already have.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just wondering what the point in using reverse osmosis water is?
All the Central and North American cichlids you mention, the carpintus, red devil, and Jack Dempseys come from waters rich in minerals, that are highly alkaline, and high in pH.
Even the GT comes from areas west of the Andes where waters are not mineral poor.
Luckily your cichlids are still young, in a 150 gal tank with adult cichlids similar to the ones you mention, I do 30-40% water changes every other day, with dechlorinated tap water to maintain healthy conditions.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Haiden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2018
Just wondering what the point in using reverse osmosis water is?
All the Central and North American cichlids you mention, the carpintus, red devil, and Jack Dempseys come from waters rich in minerals, that are highly alkaline, and high in pH.
Even the GT comes from areas west of the Andes where waters are not mineral poor.
Luckily your cichlids are still young, in a 150 gal tank with adult cichlids similar to the ones you mention, I do 30-40% water changes every other day, with dechlorinated tap water to maintain healthy conditions.
My water out of the tap is terrible

CICHLID-CRAZY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Unless your really lucky and get one with a calm personality, the Red Devil will probably kill the rest of them in a 150, once he hits maturity.

You might have a decent chance with the rest of the fish (assuming one of them doesn't get hyper aggressive). So watch the devil and if he turns hyper aggressive, remove him and see how it goes with the rest of them.

With Cichlids, it is impossible to predict exactly what will happen as each fish has a unique personality and even two fish from the same breed could have polar opposite personalities.

Yeah one of my rds has smashed his brother to the point of him now hanging upside down and still breathing.
I've segregated both fish in seoerate tank from my main. The rd that's hurt is healing and the rd that was aggressive is now in solitary confinement until I see a new hierarchy established he will be ready introduced.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
My water out of the tap is terrible
Mine is too. But I rather have some nitrate over less minerals. Unless nitrates are over 40ppm, I doubt nitrates will sky rocket. My tap is around 5ppm and my tanks seem to stay around 10ppm with regular water changes.
Now if its ammonia then I’d be concern. I wouldn’t even take a shower lol.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's the thing about a slight amount of ammonia from the tap.
most water companies are converting to the use of chloramines as a disinfectant.
Chloramine is a compound usually made up of 4 parts chlorine and 1 part ammonia.
The reasons are, chloramine produces a minimal amount of carcinogenic byproducts (trihalomthanes), compared to chlorine when combined with organic matter.
So a slight amount of ammonia in the tap, is actually better for human consumption than using straight chlorine.
Another reason, is that chloramine holds a residual longer, so it prevents pathogenic bacteria from building up in distribution systems. E coli is easily controlled with a small amount of chloramine, and for buildings using a water type air-conditioning system, prevents the bacteria that causes legionaries disease from reproducing in that type system.
Halden,
When you say your water is terrible, what does that actually mean? What are the Chemical components that make it terrible.
What city do you live in? And what is its water source, are you in Flint?

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
That is very interesting Duane, and didn’t know that.
One thing some people claim is their tap water causes nitrates to go up. I question that, because I suspect aquarium test kits not being 100% accurate and filters like canisters being the main contributors in producing nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store