Compatibility issues

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Cryptoheros make nice tankmates in mild-mannered cichlid set-ups. However, I think C. nanoluteus would be too small and docile with the others you have. C. panamensis get larger and have more spunk than nanoluteus, but I would still keep in mind how large the H. pearsei and (to a lesser extent) the V. heterospilus will become. While these larger fish aren't overly aggressive, I'd be concerned that small cryptos would become stressed out (and vulnerable to bloat) in your set up. But they are beautiful fish.

C. nanoluteus (male, from The Wetspot)
IMG_6979 copy.JPG

C. panamensis (male, from Rapps)
IMG_1145 copy.JPG

IMG_6979 copy.JPG

IMG_1145 copy.JPG

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks fug I will keep that in mind. I had an insanly aggressive bumble bee oscar in there at one point and the hrp did fine. But will definitly take the stress/bloat into consideration. ..maybe I will just go with another pleco and leave the cichlids at the hrp, pearsei and heterospilus

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are many genus and species of cichlids that are non-aggressive (at least relatively speaking), and medium in size, that seem to be overlooked by many people here.
Because of the different feeding strategy and body shapes these may not be seen as competition by your current cichlid stock.
There are 10 species of Thorichthys, about a dozen species of Astatheros, that are the Central American equivalent to Geophagines that are quite attractive and might fit in to your space.
I am keeping 3 species of Astatheros at the moment, they are slow growing, relatively docile, and yet hold their own.
Astatheros longimanus

Astatheros rostratum

Some of the genus Theraps are also now becoming available as of late, I find these to be a bit more demanding of water quality than others though.
Theraps lentiginosus

Theraps wesselli

There are also 3 species of Chuco out there that might warrant a look, I keep Chuco intermedia with my bocourti

and use the intermedia juvie as dithers for older Theraps and Astatheros

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Duanes great pics I dont remember where inread this but I read that chuco can be prone to bloat... I never thought about theraps or chuco wetspot has both... would a godmni work ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have never had as issue with bloat with my intermedia, but have heard it could be problematic in micropthalmus, never kept godmanni.
Because Chuco prefer faster flowing, more oxygen rich water than some species, I believe even semi-degraded water quality, and slightly elevated nitrates could be enough to bring on stress related bloat. Although my intermedia have not seemed at all sensitive.
Water quality may be more important with Theraps, so beyond my normal filtration and flow, I've added venturi's to their tank. I made the mistake of not providing enough oxygenation and flow to Paraneetroplus bulleri and T wesseli a few years back and lost them.

By the way, my lentaginosus came from Wetspot.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Quater quality is usually pretty good nitrates dont go beyond 5ppm between wc which are every 4 to 5 days. The flow may be an issue though so might have to check chuco off the list....duanes/fug I really appreciate the feedback

Right now the filtration is an ac110 and fx6 which my be swapped out for a 2262. Could the flow be ok

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
I've kept a couple of C. microphthalmus (from The Wetspot) and never had a problem with bloat. The 7" female I currently have is pretty quarrelsome in a 210 gal cichlid community, but usually thing don't progress beyond stand-off displays or short chases.

Astatheros are another good option, as Duanes suggested. My favorite is A. nourisatti, but they are not readily available. A. robertsoni are nice as well, especially once they mature and show their colors. However, I've found them to be very slow growers. I once had an A. longimanus, but mine was very feisty and a bit of a nuisance. A. altifrons look nice when mature (and bland when young), but the ones I've kept couldn't hold their own in a community. Your set up may be alright for them though.

Thorichthys pasionis are fun when kept in small groups, and I always enjoy having T. meeki around. They'd be good in your set up.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have some home work to do !! Thansk a ton fugs! Gonna read up on them

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Guys before I remove her I want to try everything possible to make it work she was one of the first fish I got when I got back into the hobby so do you guys think the followoling could work ?

1) remove her for a week or two I have a spare 20 gal
2) rearange the dw and rocks
3) combo of 1 and 2

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
No harm in trying I guess (option 1+2), but I doubt it would turn out well in the long term. Eventually the metae will reestablish its dominance. Rearranging decor is a strategy that can work when adding new fish because it allows all the inhabitants, including the new one(s), to set up territories from scratch (i.e., no home field advantage) - it prevents the newcomer from facing a disadvantage immediately upon arrival. However, in the end the territories will be set up based on dominance hierarchies. In your tank that means the metae will dominate (and it knows its place based on experience).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store