Concerns on aquarium seal/glass panels in the long run?

colsoh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, OH
I have a 225 gallon glass tank setup on 1st floor (above basement). The tank is seating against load bearing wall and perpendicular to 2x10 floor joists (seating on 4 floor joists). I also have two 2x8 glue/screwed togeter to support under the area where the tank is setup in the basement with two 11000lbs load steel columns. I know the floor will able to support the load. However, since the 1st floor is not solid surface/floor when people walk around or my son jumps around on 1st floor, I can see the vibration is transferred to the tank (water surface vibration little bit). Should the vibration be a concern to the tank glass panels and seal in the long run? Thank you for any thoughts on this.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If there's a right commotion going on in your house all the time it's not the tank i'd be worried about, it's the fish. Sound is very efficient at travelling through water, your poor fish are going to be spooked all the time.

My major concern when kids are around my all glass living room tank is that they get a little boisterous in their play activity and start throwing or swinging their toys around. If something hard was to just catch the glass at the right angle god knows what could happen.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

colsoh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, OH
esoxlucius esoxlucius yes that is another concern with the kids and I am trying to manage. I am actually looking for 1" acrylic tank to replace the glass tank for that matter.

I have another floor section (12' x 4') in the same room where one long side is the house foundation and there is a steel support beam in basement (same support structure for load bearing wall, but there is no wall above it) on the other long side which I think it will get less impact of commotion to the tank if it was there. That is where I am going to put the acrylic tank if I could find one 8' x 3' wide x 30" tall with 1" thick acrylic.

Anyways, thank you for your comments above

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store