Concrete Pond

Dylan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Somewere in the world
Hi guys, i am in the process of building my pond, 5X5X2ft and was wondering, would it be possible to simply fill the whole in the ground with concrete, make a chicken wire mesh, then pour it in? What would i need to put over the dirt, if anything and would the concrete be fish safe? Thanks

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
concrete needs to sit on stone... and use concrete wire and rebar not chicken wire....will also need to be one continuous pour so it seals good.... there is a product called pond shield that is perfect for sealing and making safe for fish....

eaglesWR7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
how much is the pond costing you? i was thinking about tearing mine up to replace it with concrete, that way no more worries of tears

Dylan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Somewere in the world
Well it hasnt costed me more than 100 bucks yet, and that was the cost of the liner, but i just wanted something sturdier, i might just call out someone to build this for me... lol

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
chicken wire will be fine since the pond is small. rebar is needed on much bigger pools or ponds. i like to use regular fence post mix for the base, then top it off with plastic cement. never had any issues or leaks when done this way

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
concrete wire is stronger and cheap as hell... chicken wire will rust out and do nothing....

chesterfieldzoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
michigan
I have a huge concrete pond. 10 yards of concrete worth. I also live in Michigan with its freeze and thaw cycles. It has cracked all to heck. All concrete will crack no matter where you live. It's the nature of the beast. I just used a product called sanitred and coated the whole thing. Now it is slippery as all heck. Good luck. By the way, it was raw concrete for 8 years and my fish never had a problem. We poured it, I filled it with water and vinegar for a day, then pumped it out and filled it with fresh water and tossed in the fish.

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
a day to cure the cement? how much vinegar you use ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store