Conditions for Delhezi Bichir

Fishworks2015

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2021
Hey All,

I want to get a Delhezi Bichir and 5 Leopard bush Fish but am wondering about tank conditions.

My water GH is 4dGH, is this suitable for the fishes?

I want to put them in an aquarium with dimensions 6 x 2 x 2 feet (with sump), but I am worrying about Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Should I put them in a 8 x 3 x 2 feet (with sump) instead?

If appropriately sized, they shouldn't try and eat each other right?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Bichirs can tolerate a good range of water parameters. A 6x2x2 is plenty of room. Bigger is better. Cycle through tank prior to the fish. Whether with a sump or canister or hob if cycled then nitrates are only left to deal with. That’ll need water changes to keep the nitrates down. If similar size then shouldn’t eat each other.

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I totally agree with kno4te kno4te . You will need to figure out how to make sure the Delhezi gets food. I've kept the Leopard Bush fish and they are quick suck up food like a vacuum cleaner ?

Reactions: clm08k and kno4te

Fishworks2015

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2021
Bichirs can tolerate a good range of water parameters. A 6x2x2 is plenty of room. Bigger is better. Cycle through tank prior to the fish. Whether with a sump or canister or hob if cycled then nitrates are only left to deal with. That’ll need water changes to keep the nitrates down. If similar size then shouldn’t eat each other.
The Leopard Bushfish can also tolerate 4dGH?

I totally agree with kno4te kno4te . You will need to figure out how to make sure the Delhezi gets food. I've kept the Leopard Bush fish and they are quick suck up food like a vacuum cleaner ?
The Leopard Bushfish can also tolerate 4dGH?

Reactions: tlindsey

Polymetes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2021
I like the idea of a bigger aquarium so you can add more fish later on if you have some interesting new idea. A polypterus community would be perfect for an 8x3' aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store