Conflicted on CK and Tank Size

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
This fish confuses me greatly.

We have all seen the videos/pictures of ones in ponds that are 35-40" long and absolute monsters. These fish WILL reach 40" if they have the space.

However, I have just as easily seen then kept in 2 foot wide tanks (such as 180 gallons) and they reach about 20-24" and stop growing. They look very healthy and seem to be in great condition.

I have also seen then kept in 18 inch wide tanks (such as 125's) personally and the fish reached about 18 inches and stopped growing. And once again the fish looked absolutely stunning and acted normal and was in great condition.

What size tank do these things need? They REALLY seem to grow to whatever size tank they are in and stop. You would think something that can get as big as a arowana would only be seen in very large tanks and ponds (35+ inches wide) but they are commonly seen in smaller tanks.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Have you heard the word "STUNTED"? Those CK that are being kept in a small tank are stunted that's why they don't grow anymore also captive breed in captive care won't grow as large as their counter part in the wild. Also those 18" are probably just a year old or 2. Even in a 75g a healthy CK will get up to 21" in 4-5 years. Average size in aquaria is around 18-24 inches so a 120g would be a minimum recommended. But bigger is always better, but don't expect them to get up to 40".

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
No matter what a fish will never reach its full potential in a tank. Stunting is just a take the good with the bad. By that i mean its good and sweet to keep cool large fish but bad that u may not be able to house it in a tank so it can reach its full length. Anyone who says u need a 180 so it can reach 2ft is also quilty of stunting the fish just like those who house them in 125's and 150's. I personally have one thats only 6 inches but will be housed in a 150 after it outgrows the 55 and then if i have the room he will go in a 300 tank i own and have in storage. So 120 and up is bare minimum in order for the fish to reach a good healthy size of 17-24 inches

spaz_92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2008
georgetown ontario
just make sure u have enough room for the clown knife to turn around im planning on makeing a tank that is 60"L by 30"W by 24"H so thats about 187 gallon i have to clown knifes so i need a bigger tank there in a 70 gallon right now

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
While they can get about 36" and over, it's rare. Wild vs Captivity, unless you have the space for an extremely large tank, they will usually end up smaller. Personally, I think that a minimum should be a 180g standard tank. Others say 300g+

To have a full grown "Monster" fish requires a lot of dedication. I don't think I've seen a full grown Monster fish in anyone's tank. And I feel that some of the sizes of certain fish are just speculation or internet rumors.

thesnakeguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2010
Canada
Even a fairly large clown knife doesn't need much room to turn around...they're very supple animals...

Simon

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Just get a black ghost knife and be done with it... cooler fish IMO anyway. Clown knives just grow too damn big, and I don't like the idea of knowing I'm 100% stunting a fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store