Congicus bichir info?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hi :) sorry for bringing up this old thread. I’m here to ask; what is the typical size for endlicheri and congicus bichirs? I’m thinking of letting go of my ornate and delhezi cause my ornate keeps harassing my delhezi. Thankz!
They get large. Endli depending on wc or cb 16" minimum possibly 30" would take a long time to get above 18". Congi about the same although min size is probably larger. Most polys grow fairly large pretty quickly until a certain point then typically slow down. I don't think you can put a certain size for sure on any type of poly that the growth spurt slows but safe to say 8-10 for upper jaws and 14-16 for lower. A multitude of other things effect that to though.

Ornates are or have been one of the more aggressive polys at least to other polys I've seen. Quite a few of these my ornate is picking on my whatever poly posts. Endli seem to have a more cannibalistic out look earlier in life then alot of other polys too.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like twentyleagues mentioned. They will get get big. If cb then 20in or bigger and for the endlicheri and about 2ft for the congicus. If wild then 30in and 42in for the endli and congicus. Still would take years but depends if ur willing to keep and have an appropriate tank for them.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Then maybe endlicheri is better for me :) . I find congicus has not much patterns and I like endlicheri stripes. Going for patterns and not size. Are these endlis or congis?

BCB0F31C-91B8-49CB-B812-250EE8AF56E1.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I got my congicus just over 2 years ago.
This is him when I brought him home (8-9 inches):
View attachment 1461020
This is him today (just under 18 inches):
View attachment 1461021
Wow it took 3 years to grow 9 inches? Do they really grow that slow? I was thinking of buying a small endlicheri about 2-3” and growing it out cause it only costs like $5SGD here. But it seems that they grow quite slowly. If not I would buy the endlicheris in the photo I posted above about 12-15” , but they cost like 40x more at $80SGD which is a massive increase in price.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Wow it took 3 years to grow 9 inches? Do they really grow that slow? I was thinking of buying a small endlicheri about 2-3” and growing it out cause it only costs like $5SGD here. But it seems that they grow quite slowly. If not I would buy the endlicheris in the photo I posted above about 12-15” , but they cost like 40x more at $80SGD which is a massive increase in price.
I have no experience with congiscus, but generally these lower jaw bichirs (and probably all bichirs in general) grow in spurts and take much longer once they hit 9-10 inches. So you would probably get quicker growth with the baby 2-3 inch fish than a more mature 10 inch fish. Also why the prices are jacked up. Additionally, usually smaller fish are captive bred and the larger ones you find are wild caught and that plays a role in the growth rate as well. My wild caught lap did not put on much size until a couple years in and she’s went from 10 inch to 15 inch in the last 2 years. Hope this helps!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Most small 2-3" polys will put about 1"/month if properly cared for until they hit x"s where x could be about anything from 8 to 18"s. Depends on health, genetics, wc or cb, water quality, food quality and amount.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
I'm not sure if you read the post wrong, but my congicus is just slightly under 18-inches and not 9 lol.
They grow super fast when younger, and they then slow down at the 12 inch mark on average.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store