Congo Puffer mouth problems!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That’s too bad. Has it lost weight? If it can’t eat then maybe consider a vet. The other thing is maybe putting the puffer down....if can’t afford a vet or nothing can be done. Bad of me to say but see what fat homer has got to say.

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
I know. He has lost weight for sure. I don't know what happened or what caused it. There are no vets that treat fish around me. I would love to try and save him but i don't know how at this point

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Sorry for late reply but looking at the video he is super skinny...

One thing i also noticed is you placed the pellet near the glass (im guessing for taking video), but do you normally do this as well? Coz im wondering if its always near the glass is he seeing a reflection of the food and targeting that rather than the food itself?

Final thought, have you tried other frozen foods such as meatier foods dangled infront of him to see if you can trigger more of a feeding response?

Reactions: deeda

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
Sorry for late reply but looking at the video he is super skinny...

One thing i also noticed is you placed the pellet near the glass (im guessing for taking video), but do you normally do this as well? Coz im wondering if its always near the glass is he seeing a reflection of the food and targeting that rather than the food itself?

Final thought, have you tried other frozen foods such as meatier foods dangled infront of him to see if you can trigger more of a feeding response?

Pellets are normally not by the glass. I have tried shrimp and blood worms with no sucess. It is something with his mouth

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Im honestly stumped in this case as i’ve never come across a similar problem personally... im wondering if headbanger_jib headbanger_jib might know anything about this as he also has a congo...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Mouth looks scarred up and reduced mouth movement. Maybe jib has an answer.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although I'm fairly clueless when it comes to puffers (but because I'm a retired microbiologist), to me, that white area around the mouth looks like a bacterial infection.
Certain bacterial infections, can after time, so atrophy the tissue around mouth, that the jaw gets locked and isn't useable.
Somewhat like Columnaris (duck lips) in cichlids.

For Columnaris an antibiotic that works on Gram Negative bacteria is appropriate, but if the disease has progressed too far before treatment is applied, as in some the case above photo, where the fish arrived with the disease, it was hopeless, and euthanization was best for it and to try to contain its spread. These bacteria can be spread in nets, a few drops of water, substrate, equipment, filter media, and fish o fish contact

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store