Somebody didn't read the thread before posting :grinno:
nor check any or the links that show them in action :D

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
ThePBM;1033128; said:
Hot diggity i just got me TWO 4ft sections of 3" diameter clear PVC from visipak for free (asked for a sample)

Unfortunately they do not fit into or onto the 3" PVC elbows that i've just bought a couple days ago. So now i have to figure out how i'm going to bend or elbow this clear stuff.
I suppose i COULD use my white PVC elbows and just use rubber bands and extra pvc cement to fill in the small gap that is there when i put the clear pvc around the male end of the white pvc street elbow.
Or i could cut the clear pvc at a 45deg angle and line it up with the other 45deg angle to make a 90deg angle, but i'm not confident hot glue or whatever would hold that joint.
Hang on a sec..... the samples from visipak are generally thin (like not even 1/20th of an inch. This will collapse under the negative pressure... be careful ...

ThePBM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
Lil_Stinker;1036732; said:
Hang on a sec..... the samples from visipak are generally thin (like not even 1/20th of an inch. This will collapse under the negative pressure... be careful ...
Here's a pic of the very first test. Nothing sealing it other than rubber bands between the clear pvc and the white pvc (I've since siliconed it and it is curing as we speak). It had a very slow leak of air, as it took 4 hours for the water to drop to that, and the bridge is still usable at this point. But that's just the gist of what i'm making. clear pvc in the middle so the fish can see a light source when they look up the white pvc entrance and encourage them to use the bridge more.
I will extend the white pvcs lower into the water, maybe with a 45deg angle. That's not my final design, just to give you guys an idea, and showing how the clear pvc won't be a problem with collapsing.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
ThePBM;1037541; said:
and showing how the clear pvc won't be a problem with collapsing.

will it just be a short bridge? I was thinking you were going like 4 feet ...

The design in my mind is the one I would need & that would need to go up 4 feet & then over 4 feet, & back down.. :nilly:

schaadrak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Uppinnia
Sweet. I like it.

Looking at that clear PVC I think it might be too thin to bend properly. It seems like it would be too hard to maintain the right temperature. And even if you did, the material on the outside of the bend will stretch making it even thinner. Maybe you could kink and fold it slightly it in a few places, kind of like a bendy straw?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store