Considering a Tropical Pond

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
burninator;5159039; said:
It says "into water of this state." Do you think your backyard pond constitutes as water of the state?
No it doesn't but you missed some things...

"No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department."

I checked with them if I could get a permit for Hyacinth but they only issue permits to licensed wastewater treatment facilities.

burninator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2011
Deep Water
Duncan6618;5160525; said:
No it doesn't but you missed some things...

"No person may import, possess, sell, or place them into water of this state except as authorized by rule or permit issued by the department."
No, I didn't miss that. I'm curious though, because I teach public school in TX, and I get a shipment of dotted duckweed (Family Lemnaceae) on a monthly basis from our state-run education service center for my classroom tanks. We have no special permit.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
burninator;5162329; said:
No, I didn't miss that. I'm curious though, because I teach public school in TX, and I get a shipment of dotted duckweed (Family Lemnaceae) on a monthly basis from our state-run education service center for my classroom tanks. We have no special permit.
I don't know, there's only one species in family Lamnaceae that's banned. Maybe yours is a similar but different species. Contact TPWD and have them send a game warden out. Maybe the state can fine itself...PER PLANT.;)

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I built a cover for the Hiatt canister out of cedar fencing and then put 2 cedar planters on top. I can't remember the name of the plants off hand but they are a trailing plant. I think it will look good once they grow down over the sides.

Well the drought we're in is giving me problems. My well isn't producing too much water anymore so I can't backwash the filters like I should. So as a result I got a big hair algae bloom which clogged up the filters even more making my dilema even worse. I knocked it back with algaefix and instead of continually treating with algaefix I decided to use AquaShade blue/green dye which is supposed to block the spectrums that algae need to grow. Looks weird but hopefully it will keep the algae at bay until we get some rain.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
looks good, I've seen that dye used on several ponds in my area. hopefully it does what it should (and nothing more). Overall your fish are looking healthy and the pond looks great.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Not keeping up with backwashing increases hair algae!!!???
This is a weight off my shoulders- I'm having issues with a pond where the guys responsible for doing back-washing aren't getting their schedule worked out. They're trying to blame me, so it's nice to see you're having the same issues under similar conditions... so it AIN't me.
I love your pond. In my perfect world I'll rent (buy?) a house with a pool & do it up like this. Do you still swim in there? If so, PLEASE get yourself a snorkel & disposable underwater camera and send on the pics.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Shade cloth over the pond helps control long hair. A lot of koi club members build patio structures over the pond. Sometimes only half of the pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store