Considering a Tropical Pond

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
I definitely have to read this whole thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
As a pool plasterer I'm shocked and saddened by what you did to this pool.....as a fish keeper I just want to shake your hand. Lol this is pure awesomeness! You are the embodiment of dedication. Very good work you've done!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Awesome work on the heater, only pity is that it floats.
As we all know, water is warmer the deeper it is, and fish retreat to the deeper parts when it gets cold.
Still very cool!

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk App

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Just caught this guy flying away from the pond. Guess the fake alligators aren't gonna work. I'm putting out the fake heron but is this guy really gonna be scared of a fake heron that's smaller than him?

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
not to be rude but how do you know the temp mantained 70 degrees even when you went to bed?

Not rude at all. I have a wireless pool thermometer that records hi/lo temps. I've been using the heater the last few days and here's the temps so far....

I'm a little bummed on the performance. I have the pool about 60% covered with the corrugated plastic things and I thought I would be able to actually raise the temperature by now instead of just maintaining or slowing the decline. Heating 25000 gallons is hard.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Awesome work on the heater, only pity is that it floats.
As we all know, water is warmer the deeper it is, and fish retreat to the deeper parts when it gets cold.
Still very cool!

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk App
I have the output from the heater on the deep end about 3' below the surface and I am measuring the temp on the opposite end. I have just a cheap thermometer a few feet from the heater output and it tends to run about 2 degrees higher than the temp I am recording.

I've added some guinea pig test fish. 2 plecos, an oscar, a black shark, 2 Red-finned Cigar Shark (plus the giant gourami I already had in there). So we'll see how it goes. The pleco, oscar, and managuense all have a lower lethal temp of around 54F according to the info I've found so I think that they will be fine thru the winter. The others are trial & error since there is no info available on their low temperature tolerance. I was really hoping to keep cichla but it's not looking to promising right now since they drop dead in the low 60's according to Florida fish & wildlife.

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
duncan, have you considered a solar bubble heater/blanket? they use the sun to heat the water a bit and keep the heat from escaping. my dad has one on his pool and when you roll it off you can feel the heat. you might find one on craigslist for cheap.

about that heron: if the fake one doesn't work i've heard of people using mirrors facing up (spooks them), fake owls (some take batteries and have a motion sensor, they hoot and move their head) and if you want to spend a little more money, scarecrow sprinkler. good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store