Construction and moving

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Best advice i can give is to setup a new system at the new house 1st and be sure its cycled/established. Since u own both homes this is actually the best case scenario. 300g poly tubs are affordable around $230 a pop. Intex pools are perfect for this scenario also. Id set one up in ur garage so its away from any of the basement construction. Get the space ready for “humans” first lol… then take ur time getting the new fish room/portion set up.
Ive moved a few times with 50-100 fish and thousands of gallons worth of tanks. It is much much easier when ur arriving at a new place with an established tank/pond to just dump fish in when u arrive. Be patient and setup the actual tanks and dont rush it. Ive moved tanks/water/fish at the same time with success but its alot more headache, more stressfull on urself and the fish and theres alot more risk of losing lives.

14hrs is a long haul. Id probably fly down to georgia. Purchace an intex pool/stock tank and buy all new equipment to get it running for a good month or two before driving down with the fish. No need to rush it if u dont have too. You could even ship down used media/filters to jump start ur “temp system”… not sure how many tanks u have but 1 large pool/stock tank should b all u need at the new place. U can make floating cages for any smaller fish. Super easy and cheap to setup autodrip. Can have ur new temp system cleaning itself while ur working on the home and moving…and most importantly keeping ur fish the best way possible lol 💀🤙… good luck! Dont make it stressfull. Be prepared with a system there first u trust. Driving ur fish down wont be too bad knowing they already have a place to go when u arrive.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
When we bought this house, the basement bedroom, laundry/mechanical room and the full bath were already done. The main room was also finished with drywall on the walls and ceiling and 2 exposed metal lally posts in that main room. We tore out the old carpet and eventually replaced it. We used 1 x 4 lumber, sanded, stained and installed it around the lally poles to make it look better.

When we decided to make a dedicated fish room, we knew the previous owner didn't do a good job of insulating the exterior block wall so that is why we removed the existing exterior wall drywall and ceiling. We used Drylok Latex Masonry waterproof paint on the walls that were below grade then used 1 inch Owens Corning Foamular board insulation on the walls, sealed the joints and then used 2 x 4's on the flat side to make a wall over the foam board. This allowed us to use shallow electrical boxes to run new outlets around the room, routing slots behind the 2 x 4's to run the wires.

Some pics below of what we did.

Painting the walls

Installed foam board and pic of the ceiling

Wood studs installed with flat edge out

Detail of routing wire behind studs

View of electrical box installation

I hope this helps give you some idea of options to finishing your basement. It worked for us though we are mostly self taught in home repairs and minor construction so if you aren't comfortable doing some or any of the work, definitely consult or get help from someone you trust or is local to you.

Just to add, we did run all the electrical wiring and install ourselves but had a professional do the final hookup since we also needed to upgrade our electrical panel since we had run out of slots for the new fish room
Thanks again D deeda . I had a similar thing with my house as the walls and bathroom were preexisting from the previous owner. Their eldest son lived down there so there's already quite a few outlets already except in that storage room I mentioned. I may still need to add more outlets though and I didn't think about insulation. I guess I took it for granted because it was relatively comfortable down there in both the summer and winter but I should check into it. I was worried about the removing the wall separating the rear storage room from the front rooms as I figured there may be some load bearing supports in there just like you had the lally poles. I figured worse comes to worse I'd make a bar breakfast island with the supports on either end, so I still have a view to the living room and the exterior sliding doors.

I do appreciate all the advice because you've given me a lot of things to consider that I hadn't before. This is the first time I'm doing any remodeling myself. I've done things for others with instruction and overseeing but my plan was to have all the work done for me. It gives me a better base idea of what I need to ask the contractor about.

Reactions: jjohnwm and deeda

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Sounds like a wonderful project; I'm glad I'm not doing it! :)

If you are not doing the work yourself, I would suggest having a talk with the contractor regarding the possibility of fumes from adhesives, finishes, sealants, paints, etc. that may be used during the construction. The plans may call for specific types of chemicals to be used, and if the contractor is unaware of the possibility of danger to the fish you may have problems.

If it is impossible or impractical to substitute different methods for specific jobs that eliminate toxic fumes, then you should plan on covering all tanks tightly with plastic film like painter's drop cloths or something similar. Tape them tightly in place, sealing around all hoses, electrical cords, etc. and then run an airline into the airspace above the water, fed from an air pump that is kept outdoors in clean air. The incoming air will create a positive pressure in the airspace above the water, which will prevent the entrance of fumes. Obviously the air pump must be kept in a clean area free of contaminants. Depending upon the weather, you also need to be aware of possible cooling of the tank caused by cold air being pumped into the air space.
Thanks jjohnwm jjohnwm fumes is another factor I didn't consider. I mostly thought about dust and debris. More reason for me to lean toward construction first. I do like your suggestion about running an airline from outside. I wouldn't have thought of that. It's why I made the thread. I was sure there would be things I didn't consider as well as solutions in some cases I wouldn't have thought about.

Reactions: jjohnwm

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks for the link Trouser Cough Trouser Cough . I did read that thread before creating my own which is where I got my idea about the bins etc. Since I'm moving multiple smaller fish I wanted to know how that might affect the dynamics of transporting the fish. For instance, I do worry about them sloshing around during transort and possible injury. I'm not sure if they're more likely to get injured because of their size or less. Should I add a bag so I can surround the exterior with Styrofoam of the bags to help lessen the impact of possible sloshing? Etc.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Best advice i can give is to setup a new system at the new house 1st and be sure its cycled/established. Since u own both homes this is actually the best case scenario. 300g poly tubs are affordable around $230 a pop. Intex pools are perfect for this scenario also. Id set one up in ur garage so its away from any of the basement construction. Get the space ready for “humans” first lol… then take ur time getting the new fish room/portion set up.
Ive moved a few times with 50-100 fish and thousands of gallons worth of tanks. It is much much easier when ur arriving at a new place with an established tank/pond to just dump fish in when u arrive. Be patient and setup the actual tanks and dont rush it. Ive moved tanks/water/fish at the same time with success but its alot more headache, more stressfull on urself and the fish and theres alot more risk of losing lives.

14hrs is a long haul. Id probably fly down to georgia. Purchace an intex pool/stock tank and buy all new equipment to get it running for a good month or two before driving down with the fish. No need to rush it if u dont have too. You could even ship down used media/filters to jump start ur “temp system”… not sure how many tanks u have but 1 large pool/stock tank should b all u need at the new place. U can make floating cages for any smaller fish. Super easy and cheap to setup autodrip. Can have ur new temp system cleaning itself while ur working on the home and moving…and most importantly keeping ur fish the best way possible lol 💀🤙… good luck! Dont make it stressfull. Be prepared with a system there first u trust. Driving ur fish down wont be too bad knowing they already have a place to go when u arrive.
Thanks wednesday13 wednesday13 that is my major consideration on the construction, whether I could do it at the same time or if I should do it prior. I was going to setup and cycle the tanks before introducing the fish. Sorry for expressing myself poorly in that regard. I was asking about having the tanks cycling during the construction probably until it's completion which I figured would take at least a month. I'm unsure as I've never done remodeling how long such a project would take once it was begun. I was worried about any residual affects it might have on the tanks. All tanks would be new which is why lead times was one of the considerations I mentioned since my timeframe is under pressure due to me having to leave the country for a month probably in September.

These are the bins I was going to use Sterilite 40 Gallon Wheeled Industrial Tote Plastic, Black, Set of 2 - Walmart.com
1716573135150.png
Would these be okay? Or do you think they're ill-suited to the task and should I purchase the tubs you suggested? Also, you mentioned moving yourself, since you mention the bins I imagine you moved them by car/van/truck? I ask because one of my concerns is the fish getting slammed around as the water sloshes as I drive. I think I mentioned it in a post in another thread a while ago, but a tree got too amorous with my car(which couldn't handle this as t was 2 door sport coupe) and I'm currently trying to purchase another one. I bought the Walmart bins based on them being able to fit in my potential car purchases but can change my plans if it's necessary for me to get larger bins as you suggested. Currently I'm in talks to buy a ne Hyundai Santa Fe with 3 rows folded down, I'd be able to fit I believe 3 of the bins I have.

I didn't consider setting up a pool/stock tank in my garage. It's a good idea and worth considering. I do worry about the temp in the Garage especially going into summer but it's definitely food for thought. I would need 2 of them though as I have larger Preds and some juveniles. I also completely overlooked using my established media to help things along. Again thanks. 💀🤙

Trouser Cough

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
Thanks for the link Trouser Cough Trouser Cough . I did read that thread before creating my own which is where I got my idea about the bins etc.
I completely understand your concerns. I moved an adult Peacock across town last weekend and was nervous as a cat the whole time. That was less than an hour's time in the can.

Reactions: koltsixx

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks wednesday13 wednesday13 that is my major consideration on the construction, whether I could do it at the same time or if I should do it prior. I was going to setup and cycle the tanks before introducing the fish. Sorry for expressing myself poorly in that regard. I was asking about having the tanks cycling during the construction probably until it's completion which I figured would take at least a month. I'm unsure as I've never done remodeling how long such a project would take once it was begun. I was worried about any residual affects it might have on the tanks. All tanks would be new which is why lead times was one of the considerations I mentioned since my timeframe is under pressure due to me having to leave the country for a month probably in September.

These are the bins I was going to use Sterilite 40 Gallon Wheeled Industrial Tote Plastic, Black, Set of 2 - Walmart.com
View attachment 1542968
Would these be okay? Or do you think they're ill-suited to the task and should I purchase the tubs you suggested? Also, you mentioned moving yourself, since you mention the bins I imagine you moved them by car/van/truck? I ask because one of my concerns is the fish getting slammed around as the water sloshes as I drive. I think I mentioned it in a post in another thread a while ago, but a tree got too amorous with my car(which couldn't handle this as t was 2 door sport coupe) and I'm currently trying to purchase another one. I bought the Walmart bins based on them being able to fit in my potential car purchases but can change my plans if it's necessary for me to get larger bins as you suggested. Currently I'm in talks to buy a ne Hyundai Santa Fe with 3 rows folded down, I'd be able to fit I believe 3 of the bins I have.

I didn't consider setting up a pool/stock tank in my garage. It's a good idea and worth considering. I do worry about the temp in the Garage especially going into summer but it's definitely food for thought. I would need 2 of them though as I have larger Preds and some juveniles. I also completely overlooked using my established media to help things along. Again thanks. 💀🤙

Any type of bin will do for the actual transport IMO… last time i moved 4 hrs i had a convoy of 3 pickup trucks lol. 2 with tanks/ponds and the third full of containers and fish. IMO its always better to use as much water as possible. Open water type fish are susceptible to swim bladder issues in too shallow water. Sloshing isnt an issue of course in a pickup bed but i have moved fish many times inside the pickup when its too cold. Best way ive found is to use a large shipping bag or heavy duty trash bag inside the totes. Add ur airstone then rubber band it off and close the lid. This way keeps any spilling to a minimum. Sloshing is pretty much inevitable. Seat belting the totes in helps as well. Bag inside a tote saved me one time transporting on my front passenger seat. I had to slam on the breaks… tote went flying forward and luckily it wasn’t a disaster lol. Longest ive had one in the car was around 10 hrs also trouble free. Alternator went on that trip 😂💀… terrible day but the fish made it. Fish are shipped around 24+hrs all the time in worse circumstances. 14hrs will just fine. U can even bring buckets of extra tank water to change half way through the trip.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Any type of bin will do for the actual transport IMO… last time i moved 4 hrs i had a convoy of 3 pickup trucks lol. 2 with tanks/ponds and the third full of containers and fish. IMO its always better to use as much water as possible. Open water type fish are susceptible to swim bladder issues in too shallow water. Sloshing isnt an issue of course in a pickup bed but i have moved fish many times inside the pickup when its too cold. Best way ive found is to use a large shipping bag or heavy duty trash bag inside the totes. Add ur airstone then rubber band it off and close the lid. This way keeps any spilling to a minimum. Sloshing is pretty much inevitable. Seat belting the totes in helps as well. Bag inside a tote saved me one time transporting on my front passenger seat. I had to slam on the breaks… tote went flying forward and luckily it wasn’t a disaster lol. Longest ive had one in the car was around 10 hrs also trouble free. Alternator went on that trip 😂💀… terrible day but the fish made it. Fish are shipped around 24+hrs all the time in worse circumstances. 14hrs will just fine. U can even bring buckets of extra tank water to change half way through the trip.
Convoy of pickups full of tanks. ponds and fish, that must've been an interesting sight.😂 I did not know that I've often used shallow water to fix cichlid swim bladder issues. Well sort of, I've used it specifically on Flowerhorns and Mammons. So I didn't realize shallow water could cause a swim bladder issue. My biggest concern was moving my Albino Goonch I mostly keep cats and SD's so I thought they'd travel well. The bins are 18" high and originally, I was going to fill them halfway, is that enough or should I fill them more.

Can I ask are the bags to prevent spills exclusively? Or also protect against injury to the fish? The totes are watertight so I think they'll be okay depending on the water level. I also hadn't considered belting the bins down. I'm glad I made this thread because I knew there would be a lot of things I didn't consider.

Whoa! Alternator failure 😣💀 Yeah, I imagine that wasn't cool. Glad you can look back and 😂 about it. Sometimes some of our worse days wind up being one of our funny memories. I have some crazy car stories :devil: but not fish related so I'll digress.

My mind set was similar. I get fish shipped to me all the time and I know they're not treated as carefully as I'd treat them, and they'd be transported in hopefully better water conditions with me but there is also the trade off the sloshing and jostling around of driving which was one of my major concerns.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Convoy of pickups full of tanks. ponds and fish, that must've been an interesting sight.😂 I did not know that I've often used shallow water to fix cichlid swim bladder issues. Well sort of, I've used it specifically on Flowerhorns and Mammons. So I didn't realize shallow water could cause a swim bladder issue. My biggest concern was moving my Albino Goonch I mostly keep cats and SD's so I thought they'd travel well. The bins are 18" high and originally, I was going to fill them halfway, is that enough or should I fill them more.

Can I ask are the bags to prevent spills exclusively? Or also protect against injury to the fish? The totes are watertight so I think they'll be okay depending on the water level. I also hadn't considered belting the bins down. I'm glad I made this thread because I knew there would be a lot of things I didn't consider.

Whoa! Alternator failure 😣💀 Yeah, I imagine that wasn't cool. Glad you can look back and 😂 about it. Sometimes some of our worse days wind up being one of our funny memories. I have some crazy car stories :devil: but not fish related so I'll digress.

My mind set was similar. I get fish shipped to me all the time and I know they're not treated as carefully as I'd treat them, and they'd be transported in hopefully better water conditions with me but there is also the trade off the sloshing and jostling around of driving which was one of my major concerns.
My experience with swim bladder issues was mostly with large p-bass and not enough water. Once they go sideways in a container its pretty much over for them. And Yes, i use bags inside of totes just for the spill/splash factor. Only types of fish ive had damage them selves in totes are the jumpers… ie. Aros, flagtail, bass… if your containers are good and water tight i dont think the bag offers any advantage for keeping them “safer”… may b benificial to ur sd’s tho. Keep em from hitting the lids. With 14hrs id use as much water as possible. I usually move them half full or less then fill them up further in the car to save my back 😂. Easy to dump water on arrival before u lift again. More water the better for ur goonch also. Id def. B bringing fresh 5gal buckets of tank water for him especially to change through the trip. Ive never used sponges or media on transport, just air. “Bag buddies” used to be popular for shipping. Ive used “ship safe” powder when sending ray pups across the US with no DOA’s… i think it kinda sedates them a bit and keeps the water from fouling. U have more control being able to stop and top off or change water tho i dont think ull need any additives.

Reactions: koltsixx
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store