Controling Waste Buildup in a Low Flow Biotope

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
I currently have an aquarium with about the equivlent dimensions of a 40b setup stocking 11 H. Bentosi at the moment. The biotope I am going for is that of a very slow flowing stream. I currently run a Hydor 250 and an Eheim 2217 on the tank as filtration both with the output drastically reduced. I use the Hydor as the main flow to agetate the surface and I just have the eheim running for biological on very low flow. The problem with this is that since the tetras require such low flow I get a lot of buildup of detritus on the sand. My current remedy for this is to aim the hydor spraybar downward and then letting the output run at full power for about 5 min every 3 days. This kicks up all of the detritus but none of it really seems to go towards the intakes. With my botanicals coming in I dont think this method will be viable anymore because I feel like leaves will get kicked around the tank. I eventually will be adding a school of corydoras which might help kick up detritus but I am at a loss on how to combat the whole problem.
Below is my tank the eheim spraybar is on the top right and the hydor spray bar in the top left.0810192202a.jpg

Reactions: kno4te

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Where does the detritus accumulate? Anyway you can slope the substrate down from one end to the other with the intake being at the deep end?

If you’re getting plants, you may have no choice but to turn up the canister power more.

Beautiful tank btw

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Where does the detritus accumulate? Anyway you can slope the substrate down from one end to the other with the intake being at the deep end?

If you’re getting plants, you may have no choice but to turn up the canister power more.

Beautiful tank btw
Thanks for the compliment. :)

I'm not planning on getting any plants since I want to go for a very low light look which hopefully tannins will help add.

There is detritus all over the bottom not in high concentration though. I have a few ideas on what I might be able to do but it is 2:30 in the morning and I don't want to stress out the fish I'll give an update after work tommorow.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Zip tie a turkey baster to the side of your siphon so that its right next to the suction area, this way you can use the turkey baster to blow the detritus up for easier vacuuming...

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
another idea would be to get a low flow submersible powerhead and direct the flow from one end to the intake just over the substrate.

Reactions: johnnymax

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Zip tie a turkey baster to the side of your siphon so that its right next to the suction area, this way you can use the turkey baster to blow the detritus up for easier vacuuming...
It will probably come down to doing this just got to get a new turkey baster since my other one is coated with salt on the inside from when I was treating an ich outbreak.

I've got no suggestions but wanted to say I think your tank looks nice. We have similar taste in scaping.
Thanks! I should be getting in my botanicals this Friday so I can add more tannins.

another idea would be to get a low flow submersible powerhead and direct the flow from one end to the intake just over the substrate.
This isnt to bad of an idea but the idea of siphoning seems like it would be more effective to me.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store