Controlling Humidity in Garage 8000g Uncovered pond

Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Dr Joe;985943; said:
Is it a finished garage or just studs and open walls & ceiling. If so Thompson's waterproofing works well on bare wood for this.

Got a pic of what we're working woth?

Dr Joe

The garage has drywall and a window. I am looking into painting the walls and ceiling with waterproofing paint. I heard that dehumidifiers use up a lot of electricity. Is this true, because the electric bill is already 2k a month.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Just because the you don't want to spend money on dehumidifiers or an air exchanger dosen't change the fact that the high humidity from an uncovered tank of that size will cause thousands of dollars of damage.

If you can't affords to do the things it takes to prevent high humidity you need to reconsider the project.

Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
repair;986905; said:
Just because the you don't want to spend money on dehumidifiers or an air exchanger dosen't change the fact that the high humidity from an uncovered tank of that size will cause thousands of dollars of damage.

If you can't affords to do the things it takes to prevent high humidity you need to reconsider the project.
Here is the thing, I will be living there a max of 6 months. I will keep the pond covered and paint the walls and ceiling with waterproof paint. I can probably keep a low watt fan exchanging air from my garage to the outside via a door in the garage.

Thank you for your concerns. :)

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Ali;987315; said:
Here is the thing, I will be living there a max of 6 months. I will keep the pond covered and paint the walls and ceiling with waterproof paint. I can probably keep a low watt fan exchanging air from my garage to the outside via a door in the garage.

Thank you for your concerns. :)
if you keep the pond covered you will prob be fine.

My uncovered 265 used to loose 10+ gal a week

Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
repair;987626; said:
if you keep the pond covered you will prob be fine.

My uncovered 265 used to loose 10+ gal a week
WOW that must have cost a lot. Did you even do any water changes?

Ali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
NICE!!! A lot of attitude in that tank. :D

Its a cichlid reunioun from all over the world. :)

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
A small low watt fan probubly won't have the effect your'e looking for. You'll need to move a lot of air to make a differance and even then your at the mercy of the outside humidity. No real problem at our house in AZ but NC?

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
yall are lucky its close to %90 humidity around here. our dehumidifier takes about 5 gallons of water out of the air every 48 hrs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store