Converting a 20ft cistern into an underground eel pond.

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
So the new house I’m moving into has a disconnected cistern I’ll be reopening the spouts to catch rainwater and plan on stocking it with 6-7 American eels. They’re known to live 80-150 years when kept in wells. Possibly some catfish also. Current water temp is 51f and I think it’ll stay close to that year round. I plan on making two cinderblock islands and a boardwalk between them. Should be a very interesting project.

If anybody has recommendations to fish that like cold dark water I’m open to more suggestions. I was considering a Chinese wels catfish as well. I’ll probably throw some koi or goldfish in too and crayfish for the eels to hunt.

D6EFEF30-E2B8-4C81-B043-BFCC0BFB3BE4.jpeg

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
This is cool, is that hole the only access?
yep just the one man hole opening I’ll take more pics today while I’m over there.
My two main hobbies are exploring abandoned places and keeping fish so having this under my garage will be perfect. Here’s a picture of an abandoned subway I explored.

C91E80AA-0C9D-469E-9776-E4B92632CD70.jpeg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ive always heard them called burbot but that would be a perfect fish if I can find one.
Fish of many names lol… eel pout, burbot, poor mans lobster… lota lota… one thats always been on my list and rarely kept. Wonder how cold u really need to keep them long term. There breeding them in vats over seas now. Seen them available a few times over the yrs now ??. Funny/ironic how other countries produce our native fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store