convict pair in with other ca cichlids?

Cichlomaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Hey all,
So I recently (1 week ago) added 3 cons as dithers to my 75 gallon planted tank.
I added them to curb aggression between my 3" salvini and 4" jack. As it would happen the cons ended up being 2 females and 1 male that is actually a very nice specimen. Long story short I have a breeding pair of convicts in my 75 now as well.
I'm curious if I will be fine or do I need to remedy the situation imediatly? I don't currently have any other aquariums set up besides a 2 gallon beta pot. So no options there.

Cichlomaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
A little more information, the agression between Dempsey and sal has deminished greatly as now the Dempsey is content to thwart the actions of the convicts meanwhile the sal is content with his cave.. unless someone comes to close.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
A little more information, the agression between Dempsey and sal has deminished greatly as now the Dempsey is content to thwart the actions of the convicts meanwhile the sal is content with his cave.. unless someone comes to close.

You have to remove either the JD or possibly both JD and Salvinii because the Convicts will take half of aquarium for territory.

Cichlomaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
You have to remove either the JD or possibly both JD and Salvinii because the Convicts will take half of aquarium for territory.
Is a salvini agressive enough to stand up to breeding cons? I thought maybe leave Dempsey in as he would grow much bigger and possibly able to defend himself better? Dunno in the past it seems like it always came down to the temperament of the specific fish however I have not had this exact combination before. Should I remove one of the female con as well?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Sorry I didn't reply back earlier the Salvinii would probably stand up against the Convicts but keep observing the situation. Yes I would remove one of the female's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store