Cooking a fish from your aquarium

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Done it the other way around. I did raise a couple of tilapia once that otherwise would have been eaten, and they turned out to look quite good in the aquarium.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I have heard that they are but did you cook and eat one from out of your tank?
Not from my own tank, but was 100% in one at one point in time. Caught it in Mackay QLD, there was reports of some being released there.

Reactions: HumanBean

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...it cant be too healthy with all the medicines and chemicals we use to raise these fish...
Lol, speak for yourself! :)

I've never eaten one of my aquarium fish, but I don't feel it would be unhealthy at all to do so. I don't use fertilizers, chemicals, pesticides, herbicides or any other "-cides" on my property or in my tanks. The thing is...why would anyone eat fish that represent a considerable investment in money, effort and time? Surely, any other source of fish for food would be cheaper.

If the fish is alive and healthy...why would you kill it for food? And if it's not alive and/or healthy...why would you even consider eating it at all?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Eating your fish, my goodness.

Things would have to get pretty desperate in my life for me to even consider eating one of my fish. And even then my fish would be well down the pecking order. It'd be dog, cat, kids......and then fish, lol.

I believe duanes duanes has eaten a few of his fish over the years.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have eaten a number of them, and they chave been quite tasty..
Especially if they get injured, or incapacitated, its much less wasteful, than tossed the trash.
My first was a large JD that got half its face bitten off in a fight.
Also eaten managuense, and Petenia, among others,
When I was in Viet Nam, I would see lots of gouramis, climbing perch and barbs in the open air markets.
Here in Panama (where I live now), cichlids and large tetras are common dinner fare.
In Argentina and Uruguay, Pacu are cooked and sold in restaurants.
Below fried Cichla (peacock bass) here on Taboga.
04DB39ED-75DE-473E-9CDB-D2916AAC6F51_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store