Cool FW Shrimps

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
This is something I'm going to have to ask the professionals on. I'll get back to you on that.

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
Personal correspondence with Mustafa indicates the "red point" is probably M. brasiliense, the "shrimp transparente" most likely a Palaemonetes sp., and the "zebra" (as determined by images sent from Peru) most likely not a Macrobrachium at all, but rather Euryrhynchus amazoniensis, "a very small species...about 2.5-3 cm".

It is likely that the milky coloration of the E. amazoniensis depicted above is indicative of stress. Look to http://www.akwaria.pl/krewetki/alpheus_cyanoteles.html for naturally colored - albeit mislabeled - specimens.

Further Notes: Said species are all plant-safe, and furthermore characterized by abbreviated larval development.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Very helpful, Thank you.

We plan on working more with FW crustacea/inverts in the near future.

franksaquarium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
New York
www.franksaquarium.com
Miles said:
I can get rare FW shrimp from the Amazon if anyone is interested. They are not quite as striking as those, but we do have some nice 'Cherry' FW shrimp, 'Green' and a 'Ghost' type that is similiar to a ghost shrimp, but gets very large.
Hello everyone. First time posting here. I would just like to comment on the "ghost-type" shrimp from the Amazon region. These shrimp are most likely a Macrobrachium of some type. Most of the shrimp in this genus are piscivorous at worst and fish mutilators at best. I have had two species of the "ghost types", both Macrobrachium, and both proved to be incompatable with fish (which is why I no longer deal with them). I did also get a Palaeomonetes (identification uncertain) which looked harmless but ended up being able to capture and eat smallish fish. They are best kept in a species tank with plenty of hiding places and visual barriers so they can't see each other too often.

As to the red shrimp and the green shrimp from the Amazon....first time I have seen pics of them. VERY nice. The Euryrhynchus could probably do some damage to smaller fish, judging by the claws. I wonder if it is a fish mutilator?

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
franksaquarium said:
As to the red shrimp and the green shrimp from the Amazon....first time I have seen pics of them. VERY nice. The Euryrhynchus could probably do some damage to smaller fish, judging by the claws. I wonder if it is a fish mutilator?
They're apparently very timid.

franksaquarium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
New York
www.franksaquarium.com
Veneer said:
They're apparently very timid.
Not unusual for most shrimp species. After all, they are prey items to most other fishes (and even other shrimp). IME, much of the damage occurs at night, when the fish are sleeping and the shrimp are out and about. But still, these are some wonderful looking critters, and are worth trying. Are these species often imported?

OdiE-ThE-Fahaka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
washington
i need some of those shrimp for my puffer!

Lonewolfblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com

Cool shrimp....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store