Coral Cat Shark

jtmoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2008
Indiana
I have been reading up on these forums for quite some time now but just have not been posting. I bolded my questions to make it easier to read.

I am looking to get into marine as I used to work at a LFS and did quite a bit of maintaining saltwater tanks but that has been 5-6 years and a lot has changed.

I am not looking at doing this in the very near future but wanted to get an idea of what kind of setup it would take to keep Coral Cats. I know how much money can be invested in setups and animals as I keep 100+ geckos and have invested a lot of money into them, I mainly keep Giant Geckos (Leachianus).

I know I am looking at a tank size of 300 gallons+ (Good size being 360 gallons) but what kind of equipment would I need?

Protein Skimmer: What Brand? What model?

What kind of filters do I need?
Currently I am using FX5's on my freshwater setups.

Do I need to get a drilled tank and do a sump or do large canister filters cut it with a nice protein skimmer?

I am using Hydor Koralia Evolution powerheads right now in freshwater setups, do they work fine for sharks? Would two Magnum 8's cut it (3,250 GPH) or is that too much?

From what I have read you need to get rock but do not want to overdue it and take away from swimming space for the shark. So how much is needed with a 300+ gallon aquarium for a shark?

What else can go with Coral Cat Sharks?

Feeding: I have seen Mazuri 5MD8 being used for the vitamins. What are the popular items being fed? Shrimp, Squid, Fish, Ghost Shrimp, Crab?

I have seen Brown Banded and Coral Cats, but have read that Corals are a lot more attractive and active, is this true?

Sorry for all the questions, I just research heavily before I do anything.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
jtmoney;4828291; said:
what kind of setup it would take to keep Coral Cats.

I know I am looking at a tank size of 300 gallons+ (Good size being 360 gallons) but what kind of equipment would I need?
Foot print is more important than gallons. Several adult coral cats will be happy in something with a foot print around 8' x 4'. Single shark will be ok in something like 6'x3' (Minimum)

jtmoney;4828291; said:
Protein Skimmer: What Brand? What model?
IME A skimmer should be rated at at least 2x the tank size. I used to run a comercial skimmer on my salt system. When I had my 200 gallon salt running I had an Aquamedic turboflotor 1000 skimmers running on it. Great skimmer for a small tank.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
Bio filtration on salt is best left to live rock. 2 pounds per gallons (depending on bio load). With sharks the more room the better, so a sump with all the live rock in it works best.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
Do I need to get a drilled tank and do a sump or do large canister filters cut it with a nice protein skimmer?
Drilled is easier when working with sumps. But it's not required. When I had my 150 gallon salt running it had a 300 pounds of LR, a turboflotor 1000 skimmer and an Eheim 2260 on it and was very healthy.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
I am using Hydor Koralia Evolution powerheads right now in freshwater setups, do they work fine for sharks? Would two Magnum 8's cut it (3,250 GPH) or is that too much?
I never used power heads. I used one massive pump for the flow and turn over. On salt you are going to be looking for around 10x turnover through your tank.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
From what I have read you need to get rock but do not want to overdue it and take away from swimming space for the shark. So how much is needed with a 300+ gallon aquarium for a shark?
Yes you are correct. See above. But on a 300 gallon tank I would say 600 pounds of LR. This can be 100 live and 500 base since the live will populate the base in time. You will just ahve to ramp up the live stock much slower.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
I used to keep just about everything with mine. Groupers, Tangs, Damsels, Lions, Eels, other larger fish that can't be easily eaten. Careful of puffers or other fish that like to attack the eyes.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
Feeding: I have seen Mazuri 5MD8 being used for the vitamins. What are the popular items being fed? Shrimp, Squid, Fish, Ghost Shrimp, Crab?
I never did vitamins. Just smelt, shrimp, squid, scallops.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
I have seen Brown Banded and Coral Cats, but have read that Corals are a lot more attractive and active, is this true?
Cats are not normally active unless feeding. With that said though, mine were fairly active at times swimming around looking for food during the day. Corals are better looking IMO and they stay smaller then the browns.

jtmoney;4828291; said:
Sorry for all the questions, I just research heavily before I do anything.
Don't be sorry for asking questions..

jayfb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Protein Skimmer: What Brand? What model? go over sized, I like MTC HSAs But aqua C and ETSS are nice also.

What kind of filters do I need? A large Bio Filter Ie.. Wetdry or some other typ of large bio. Not a canister.

Do I need to get a drilled tank and do a sump or do large canister filters cut it with a nice protein skimmer? Yes I would suggest a drilled tank Cats can jump out easy so a drilled tank with a sealed lid is preferable. No a large canister will not cut it, leave that on your fresh water setups.

I am using Hydor Koralia Evolution powerheads right now in freshwater setups, do they work fine for sharks? Would two Magnum 8's cut it (3,250 GPH) or is that too much? I don’t think Mag 8s would be the way to go, I would suggest a blueline 100 or equivalent.

From what I have read you need to get rock but do not want to overdue it and take away from swimming space for the shark. So how much is needed with a 300+ gallon aquarium for a shark? With a large Bio filter it up to you just make sure the rack is out of the way or the shark to swim, But they do like a cave to hide in during the day.

What else can go with Coral Cat Sharks? Groupers, porkfish, some tangs, eals, any fish that is a gulper not a picker.

Feeding: I have seen Mazuri 5MD8 being used for the vitamins. What are the popular items being fed? Shrimp, Squid, Fish, Ghost Shrimp, Crab? I feed shrimp silversides scallops, krill, squid, smelt.

I have seen Brown Banded and Coral Cats, but have read that Corals are a lot more attractive and active, is this true? At night they are but during the day about the same.

jtmoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2008
Indiana
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I have been fascinated with keeping sharks for about 10 years now and wanted to slowly buy the equipment.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Canisters will be just fine. A skimmer is nice, but again not needed if you have enough mechanical otherwise. I don't run skimmers on a lot of my shark pup grow out tanks.

Either will work for you. Make it fit your budget and work space. I prefer over the back stuff just so I don' t ever worry about a crack around a stand pipe in a drilled tank. I've seen too many fail.

Would two Magnum 8's cut it (3,250 GPH) or is that too much?
You don't need powerheads. I only use current from my filters and a couple of airstones from time to time.

So how much rock is needed with a 300+ gallon aquarium for a shark?
You don't NEED rock either. As long as you have surface area for bacteria to grow on (sand, biological media like bioballs etc...).

Anything they can't eat, avoid fish that pick (triggers, puffers etc...)

What are the popular items being fed? Shrimp, Squid, Fish, Ghost Shrimp, Crab?
Mixed diet of fish, clam, squid etc... I use Mazuri vits as well. Ocean Nutrition puts out a nice shark/ray diet coral cats love.

Brown banded are actually bamboo sharks (different jaw structure). Both are primarily nocturnal, but will move around in search of food. I prefer coral cats due to activity level and the way they pack hunt. Brown banded get MUCH bigger as well, something to consider.

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
Zoodiver;4837340; said:
Canisters will be just fine. A skimmer is nice, but again not needed if you have enough mechanical otherwise. I don't run skimmers on a lot of my shark pup grow out tanks.

Either will work for you. Make it fit your budget and work space. I prefer over the back stuff just so I don' t ever worry about a crack around a stand pipe in a drilled tank. I've seen too many fail.

You don't need powerheads. I only use current from my filters and a couple of airstones from time to time.

You don't NEED rock either. As long as you have surface area for bacteria to grow on (sand, biological media like bioballs etc...).

Mixed diet of fish, clam, squid etc... I use Mazuri vits as well. Ocean Nutrition puts out a nice shark/ray diet coral cats love.

Brown banded are actually bamboo sharks (different jaw structure). Both are primarily nocturnal, but will move around in search of food. I prefer coral cats due to activity level and the way they pack hunt. Brown banded get MUCH bigger as well, something to consider.
+1

jtmoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2008
Indiana
Zoodiver;4837340; said:

Thank you so much! I was concerned with sumps and all because I have no experience with that.

For Mechanical filtration would two Fluval FX5's and for skimmers two AquaC Remora Pro's do the job?

I know the skimmers are only rated for 120 gallon tanks but I figured with two of them they would get the job done?

Where are the best places to get Coral CatSharks pups? I have been reading that getting a well started pup is the best way to go as getting eggs are more difficult and not for beginners.

I appreciate all of your help and advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store