Coryadoras Breeding beginner question

SA.L.Tanganyika

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2017
Hello.

Ive never breed Cory before, i have one large group of pygme, and 5 young of Cory, Habrosus.
I had a group of Aenus, but i sold them to get the smaller types of cory.
And today i found 2 Aenus babies in the tank, and i was thinking maybe I can try to breed some cory.
They are damn cute!

My questions as a beginner.
Can you if the tank is big enough, have 2 types ore more in a tank, and all types breed (as loon as they don't relate so close they breed hybrids)?
Ore do they have to be the only species cory in the tank?

Al my tanks(except a tanganyika tank) are heavy planted, so egg and fry do survive by they own.

I don't look to mass breed, just to keep myself ore exchange with friends.
And i prefer to breed fish that take care of their young or egg survive by them self.

Reactions: J. H.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello.

Ive never breed Cory before, i have one large group of pygme, and 5 young of Cory, Habrosus.
I had a group of Aenus, but i sold them to get the smaller types of cory.
And today i found 2 Aenus babies in the tank, and i was thinking maybe I can try to breed some cory.
They are damn cute!

My questions as a beginner.
Can you if the tank is big enough, have 2 types ore more in a tank, and all types breed (as loon as they don't relate so close they breed hybrids)?
Ore do they have to be the only species cory in the tank?

Al my tanks(except a tanganyika tank) are heavy planted, so egg and fry do survive by they own.

I don't look to mass breed, just to keep myself ore exchange with friends.
And i prefer to breed fish that take care of their young or egg survive by them self.

I personally haven't heard of hybrid Cories but if two different species did breed would not sell or take any to the lfs. You could continue to leave them be in the aquarium and you will probably find more fry.☺

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I keep about 6 different species of cory together so far the only ones to breed are the bronze. I was hoping some of the other species would get going.
I have not seen any indications that they are interbreeding.
But like was already stated if it is possible I wouldn't introduce them into the hobby.

Reactions: tlindsey

SA.L.Tanganyika

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2017
My question may be written wrong, english is not my first language ^^,

I did not ask if they will inbreed, and i know what "types" inbreed and not, I would keep species that do NOT inbreed (hybrid) in same tank.

But if they happy would breed of 2 ore more different groups of cory where in the same tank :)

How many have breed let say 3 different types in the same tank?

do the fact that you have 2 ore more types make them breed less?

What cory have you keept in same tank and borth ore more types breed?

I keep about 6 different species of cory together so far the only ones to breed are the bronze. I was hoping some of the other species would get going.
I have not seen any indications that they are interbreeding.
But like was already stated if it is possible I wouldn't introduce them into the hobby.

what types do you keep together BIG-G :D?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Sterbae, panda,skunk,reticulate,bronze,orange lazer,Julii, Schwartzi
Maybe a few more. Lol
Now all of these are not in the same tank.
They are split into two different groups in 55 gallon aquariums.
I have sugar fine sand and live plants in both tanks.
I feed blood worms, sinking carnivore pellets,flakes, tubifex worms, and a mix of rapashy foods as well as some zucchini slices about once a week.
I stumbled onto the zucchini by accident while feeding to a pleco. The coryies in that tank would pick at it as well so I stated adding it to my species specific tanks.
Of course not all at once I just try to mix it up.
Water is kept at about 78 to 80 ph is around 6.5 to 7. But occasionally when I do a water change I will use colder water to add back to the tank. At about 65 it seems to kick the spawning into gear.
I usually do about 20 gallon water change twice a month but every week for about three or four weeks right before a spawn then that last change I do the cool water trick and that usually does it.
So far I have raised about 75 to 100 bronze corydoras but for whatever the reason I can't get the others to start breeding.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
No not laser i wish. Just the regular bronze Cory
Corydoras aeneus this is one of my ten gallon grow out tanks.
IMG_0686.PNG

Reactions: J. H.

SA.L.Tanganyika

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2017
woaw look at those! a big gang!
So they are called "Bronze" in english.
We cal them "metal armor cory" in my country.

thought maybe bronze was what wee cal "orange lazer" ahah

But the Bronze is the easiest to breed i've been told :)

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Yes so far for me that's been the case. I try to keep at least a group of 6 individuals per species to insure a female and males. If you can sex them it would be best to keep one female per 3 males. The females are usually quite bigger than the males.
Once I see eggs I collect them and move them to a ten gallon with same water and temperature a sponge filter and heater.
I also add some leaf litter like about six or so oak and mulberry leaves.
I found that I couldn't get the eggs to hatch they would fungus, by adding the leaves the natural tannins that are released help to prevent that.
I collect the dead dry leaves and place them in a. Bucket outside with water in it. I let them soak for a week or so them just throw a few in the tank with the eggs.
I have read of others using Indian almond leaves instead of the oak and mulberry but this is what I had so I tried it and it seems to do the trick

Reactions: SA.L.Tanganyika

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
A disadvantage of having more than one group.. cories are egg eaters. So if one species spawns, the other may eat the eggs.
Now if you are feeding the cories heavy (as done in conditioning), sometimes they are full enough where they do not immediately eat egs.
But I have seen a case with 3 males, 1 female, where there is spawning going on, and one male immediately eats the eggs as they others put them on the glass :(

Reactions: SA.L.Tanganyika
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store