Cost Effective Water Conditioners

demonte1997

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2011
Connecticut
After reading through this article, I'm beginning to realize potentially the error of my ways when trying to 'condition' my water with an ATI tap water conditioner product. At this point, I have a message into my local water company inquiring as to which active ingredients they use, or I may find in my tap water once it leaves their facility. My guess is chloramine, which is scary. That said, I'm likely going to err on the side of caution here and begin utilizing a product like SAFE.

I see in the original post that buying in bulk can yield substantial discount. Is this still the case and does the seller listed still ship this product? I see it listed on Amazon for $100. Perhaps that is the amount the product price has inflated in the last 6 years.

Thanks for the help.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Local as well as online prices (and shipping) will vary, sale prices are always best. :)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
After reading through this article, I'm beginning to realize potentially the error of my ways when trying to 'condition' my water with an ATI tap water conditioner product. At this point, I have a message into my local water company inquiring as to which active ingredients they use, or I may find in my tap water once it leaves their facility. My guess is chloramine, which is scary. That said, I'm likely going to err on the side of caution here and begin utilizing a product like SAFE.

I see in the original post that buying in bulk can yield substantial discount. Is this still the case and does the seller listed still ship this product? I see it listed on Amazon for $100. Perhaps that is the amount the product price has inflated in the last 6 years.

Thanks for the help.
Do you consider to setup an RO system?
These systems quite cheap nowadays and you don't have to worry about tap water nitrate or chlooramine/chlorine or high level of PH if you into more advance RO system.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Personally I prefer higher mineral content, and pH. Water conditioner purchased in bulk is very inexpensive.

demonte1997

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2011
Connecticut
Thanks RD :)

I have to give my water company credit. They returned my message within an hour. Their rep said they use liquid chlorine, sodium hypochlorite. He also went as far as to state they never have used, nor intend to use chloramine. The residual in my area is only supposed to be 1ppm. To me, that seems like a really good thing insofar as aquarium water treatment.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Never treated my water after water changes, I'm going to make sure to go buy those before my next water change.

DiscoPotato

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2016
South Florida
This is exactly what I was looking for. Conditioning almost 1000 gallons of water can easily get costly.

kyle osowski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2017
Good to know. I will be researching. So if prime takes up to an hour to break it all down what type of effect does the chlorine chloramine have on media if treated in the tank? Or does this only effect fish? I usualy wait untill the haze of the chemicals seperating and detoxifying is gone and water looks clear again before switching them on or does it not matter much? Didn't read all the posts so sorry if question was already asked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store