Cost Effective Water Conditioners

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
jcarson just has chlorine, I think he was just checking to make sure that the product that he linked to was ok for fish.

Reactions: jcarson

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
So i was looking for the easy way out when it came to measuring up my solution and this was the easiest I have found and I am just looking for clarification here.

8oz sodium thiosulfate to 1 gallon of distilled water.
So given this solution and my chlorine tested from my faucet I will need about a shot glass for every 50 gallons of water.

My question/concern is oxygen depletion.

I am one to "overdose" when it comes to dechlorinator half in the beginning half at the end of water change and maybe another capful just to be sure.

As long as I dont see fish gasping at the top of my tanks I should be good? Right?

PapaJ

Feeder Fish
Mar 6, 2020
I find this article useful as I have a 500 G tank and I go through 3-4 bottles of conditioners a month. I didnt see anything about how to remove chloramine. Sorry if i missed it thanks
Use the Prime product SAFE. Its powered prime. I treat a 220 and a bottle last me about a year. Good stuff!!

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
This is a super helpful thread. I just ordered a kilo of SAFE.

We have choramine here, but my tanks are all neutral pH or less with lots of plants so I'd probably get away just using hypo but really don't want to risk it.

I watched my purple pseudochromis thrash and die one day because I grabbed the wrong bottle and dosed the top off water with some supplement instead of Prime. So, I don't care to repeat that

Reactions: RD.

Newtrybe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2024
i prefer Prime. ive been treating my fishroom for about a year now and havent had to worry. must have spent 50$ but can treat over 20,000 gallons if im not mistaken

socaliclown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2024
KISS fan here. I simply use Pond dechlor. It's way more concentrated and when brands are the same, it is the same as the aquarium version just concentrated. API

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
KISS fan here. I simply use Pond dechlor. It's way more concentrated and when brands are the same, it is the same as the aquarium version just concentrated. API
Typically pond declorinators are NOT more concentrated, they are exactly the same as aquarium grade. The reason that they are marketed as needing less product, is due to the fact that in a a large open system such as found in a pond setting, chlorine will be reduced, and gas off, much quicker than in a much smaller system, such as in an aquarium. People working in retail sales refer to this as a marketing GIMMICK.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store