Cost of maintaining a 1000 gallon reef aquarium

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
ALOT:D Too much for your average worker. We're planning for a 1,000 freshwater. My guesstimate was around many thousands and thousands of dollars for it all. We're already saving, and we still have about 5 to 8 yrs before we follow through w/ our plan. But, here u go, found this for u, they specialize in SW: http://www.seaquariums.com/index.html contact them and see what they say, I'm sure they'd love to answer ur questions.

slacker11201

Feeder Fish
Apr 24, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I find it very funny how people say if you ask you cant afford. I was only curious on someone cost of running a large aquarium. My guess was about $130 a month for chem, salt. Then the power bill, I guess thats why you spend the money and get LED.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
LED's are still fairly new.. If I was shelling out that kinda cash personally I'de go with tried and true Halides and supliment with some LEDs for moonlights. and to answer your question how much your gonna run a month.. we'de need to know the equipment your running... becasue that will tell you what your gonna be spending mostly. Also depending on what you plan on keeping in this "reef tank" as supplimental foods and chems vits ect are all going to make or break it as well. what salt mix you plan on going with... There are alot of variables.

130$ is prolly a good start. But I doubt it would be much less then that running bare mins.

Your also better off asking this in the SW forum.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
slacker11201;5079502; said:
I find it very funny how people say if you ask you cant afford. I was only curious on someone cost of running a large aquarium. My guess was about $130 a month for chem, salt. Then the power bill, I guess thats why you spend the money and get LED.
Yes, once you've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on equipment and livestock, it's not more than a few hundred a month. :ROFL:

audifusion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
toronto,on,canada
Lol.....

My tank is 800 gallons.

Cost isn't too bad once you get going.

A little extra hydro per month.

I buy a couple hundred lbs of reef salts whenever it's on sale.

The big ticket items in triple digits were the tank, skimmer and lights.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
My power bill for my fresh water 300 gallon is around $75 a month. This is 2 eheim 2262(85 watts each) 2 300 watt heaters, 2 hours of led lights a day, 4 smaller filters at 40 watts each.

I know of someone who has a 500 gallon reef with none Led lighting, the power bill was $600 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Holy thread necro!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
After having a 600 gallon tank for a while and with the knowledge of salt water reefs need far far more flow and everything, your going to be about 1000.00 a year just in pumps running year round. Lighting will be far worse, then you need to think about heating it as well and maybe a chiller. I would guess a large salt lake has to cost fully a year MIN- $4.5K a year total cost. Probably closer to 8k for everything with food and such. Salt mix will be about 1k a year,

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store