Could I raise Arapaima in my pond?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Twenty five feet deep is shallow for a pond?

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Psh. We have the largest naturally occurring freshwater body of water west of the Mississippi, and we don't see depths more than 6' (unless you know a secret...) and we grow monsters.
The point is, depth can grow monsters; but it is not a requirement.
25 ft is a hell of a hole. No matter what you get to grow in there, it will be incredible. And it will be yours. And 99% of us will be jealous.
And I will be joyously jealous of whatever you steward. And support your pond with full enthusiasm!
Jpsh

vipercaleb1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2018
Wow thanks guys for all the input and advice!

We regularly swim in it, so are aligator/longnose/musk safe?
I would love to grow a big "fossil" fish like the gar, paddlefish or sturgeon.
I'm not sure how cold it is at the bottom, but it's freezing compared to the surface or the shallower you go. The spring is the reason for this I guess.

Also, today is when the pump for the aeration system comes! So after it's setup we'll have to see how the pond changes.

I'm hesitant to restock with flatheads because they ate everything and didn't allow the bass/other fish to grow (which is fine because they got to be pretty big). But now I would like to grow a a huge unique/fossil fish. Especially if it's a less common or becoming endangered.
And again, I don't have a lot of money to spend because I just spent it all basically on the aeration system Lol.

Thanks again guys! What do you all suggest?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Wow thanks guys for all the input and advice!

We regularly swim in it, so are aligator/longnose/musk safe?
I would love to grow a big "fossil" fish like the gar, paddlefish or sturgeon.
I'm not sure how cold it is at the bottom, but it's freezing compared to the surface or the shallower you go. The spring is the reason for this I guess.

Also, today is when the pump for the aeration system comes! So after it's setup we'll have to see how the pond changes.

I'm hesitant to restock with flatheads because they ate everything and didn't allow the bass/other fish to grow (which is fine because they got to be pretty big). But now I would like to grow a a huge unique/fossil fish. Especially if it's a less common or becoming endangered.
And again, I don't have a lot of money to spend because I just spent it all basically on the aeration system Lol.

Thanks again guys! What do you all suggest?
Ok so can't eat all the other fish and must be unlikely to harm swimmers:
Channel catfish
Sauger
Alligator gar
Longnose gar
Bowfin
Yellow perch
A few white bass
1 paddlefish
A bunch of American eels
Longear sunfish
Hifin shark
Buffalo fish
Freshwater drum
Mullet
1 (only one) longfin koi
Redfin pickerel

You can also encourage turtles to live in your pond by putting haulout logs in sunny areas.

Another cool trick is to put a small fishless pond with lots of water lilies or pondweed in it nearby, this will give the nearby pond a steady supply of frogs

Reactions: vipercaleb1

vipercaleb1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks again!
Ohkay so I should've clarified that the flatheads eating all the other fish was fine, because the flats got to be "big." And when we moved here, I started feeding them and the bass/bluegill/crappie started flourishing again.
That's why I was initially thinking I would restock the flatheads. But then I started doing some research and thought it would be super cool if I could raise a Nessie (the big 5ft flathead) replacement, and the arapaima was my first thought. I looked at some others, and maybe a Beluga or white sturgeon would be much better? Or is it not cold enough you think? I don't have enough money to go with all those fish, and I'm a bit scared as they might eat other/the bass in the pond already might. I'm deffinitely going to get some logs and try to make a small pond for frogs! ^_^ A beluga would be more than a "worthy" Nessie replacement as it grows, I'm sure. But Idk... I may just be dreaming =P

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store