Could it work? Cherry shrimp substrate

Gobrian44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Around.....
So i was thinking i am growing out some FH fry and there are bits of food at the bottom of the tank. as some are growing larger i am adding dividers so they have their own space. this got me to thinking if i suspended eggcrate an inch or 2 maybe even 3 off the bottom isolating it from all the FH and put java moss and other plants at the bottom could it be colonized with cherry shrimp to help clean the left over food. As long as they did not cross come above the egg crate they would be perfectly protected and there would be more than enough plants and hiding spots for them under the egg crate. Would this help keep the tank cleaner? i know esthetically it would look very odd and maybe somewhat tacky but could it work?

THANKS! :popcorn:

Gobrian44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Around.....
yeah i really want to try its like an alive ugf and i feel the plants would also help on the filtration. i mean how cool would it be to have tanks like this and not need filters lol. im eager to try this out i definately will as soon as summer school is over... Organic Chemistry is rough lol

Gobrian44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Around.....
i meant filter as part of the plants as they would aid in the nitrogen cycle. it would take a lot to replace filters. but maybe one day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store