Covering a tank opening questions

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I recently bought and set up a 150 gallon. It didn’t come with any lids. So I’ve been using Rubbermaid tote lids and towels lol. I went to the glass store and got 4 pieces along with those marineland hinges that snap onto the glass. So the question is, is it bad to have basically the entire opening of the tank covered? The only gap is about 3/4” strip that runs along the entire tank (minus the center brace) in the back where the filters go into the tank. There’s also small gaps where the hinges raise the glass in the middle but those are pretty tiny. There is a powerhead blowing oxygen into the tank. I’m just curious about oxygen exchange and whatnot.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
So the question is, is it bad to have basically the entire opening of the tank covered?
It's a bad idea to NOT have basically the entire opening of the tank covered.

As long as it's not air tight, it's fine. If you have a 3/4" gap all around that's heaps. Maybe even too much if you have jumping fish.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
It's a bad idea to NOT have basically the entire opening of the tank covered.

As long as it's not air tight, it's fine. If you have a 3/4" gap all around that's heaps. Maybe even too much if you have jumping fish.
I think they’re fine. Most of them are probably too wide anyways lol.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Having a full top helps in two ways, no fish jumping out and to block anything that may fall into the tank by accident.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store