Crabs: which ones to get?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've found the crabs to be completely safe with plants. They're omnivores, feeding on small inverts and algae. I suspect they look for the microscopic life that lives in and around growing algae cultures. They don't even eat the soft roots of my dwarf water lettuce but, they'll clean my plants of hair algae.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I've found the crabs to be completely safe with plants. They're omnivores, feeding on small inverts and algae. I suspect they look for the microscopic life that lives in and around growing algae cultures. They don't even eat the soft roots of my dwarf water lettuce but, they'll clean my plants of hair algae.
What are some species that you would recommend for a planted tank?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Will crabs damage plants like staurogyne repens?
Not sure... I never had any issues with my crabs tearing up plants, aside from ripping up my Marimo moss balls and eating them, as well as using chunks of dead plant matter to plug their hiding places. Although my plants were a little less delicate that the one you named

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
Not sure... I never had any issues with my crabs tearing up plants, aside from ripping up my Marimo moss balls and eating them, as well as using chunks of dead plant matter to plug their hiding places. Although my plants were a little less delicate that the one you named
Ok, thanks. Nothing like a little research if you want to learn something

Reactions: TroyMIfishkeeper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store