cracked tanks?

albinomoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
MD
I used to have 2 red bellies in a 20 gal. tank and one of them rammed the side of the tank and cracked it. Is this common among piranha? I know their jaws are strong enough that any living thing that fits inside their mouth can be taken with the exception of the hardest iron wood which sounds like they would have a pretty tough exterior also.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
wow how big are they. i have never heard of Ps doing that but i have of other fish like big cats and stuff

fatsolomon

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
new hampshire
sounds like they wanted out, meaning i bet they were over 4" and felt cramped

albinomoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
MD
They were close to being about 4" and my guess was it was spooked by something going on outside like the cat or something getting knocked over making a noise. I was not home at the time. If this had happened after I had seperated them for a week and put them back together. Had it happened before this I would have thought one was trying to avoid the other one's attack. They used to bite each other so onetime I witnessed it and swatted them with a net and they continued to bite so I seperated them for a week. When I put them back together they became buddy buddy and no longer bit each other and stayed close together.

SiestaSkyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Brooklyn, MI
sorry i dont think it was the piranha that cracked your tank. i know 20 gal are not that thick but come on lets face it a 4" piranha isnt exactly a guided missile. cat fish have gerth piranha are skinny and dont wiegh in that high in the grand scale of "tank busters". id bet something else cracked your tank. no im not calling you a lier thats just damn near impossible.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
some times i swear i think my cats are gonna break my tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store