Create your own hybrid....

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Polypterus;1114603; said:
There are bunches of them actually...
These pics show what very well was a Shortnosed X Longnosed hybrid. Someone I do know that has one has confirmed it but I still call it suspected..

This fish is affectionately know as Lepisosteus medius or the Medium nosed gar...
OMG! My girlfriend and I were just talking about a shortnose x longnose hybrid and were laughing, calling it a Mediumnose!! I find this all very interesting.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
rallysman;1114570; said:
That's awesome, I'm going to bookmark this thread. I always imagined that there were "wild" hybrids, but could never find anything that was.

Thanks for sharing!!
Tiger Muskies are a cross between Northern Pike and Muskellunge, I believe they do cross on occasion in the wild.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Polypterus;1114639; said:
There is a reason I approached you for CLO Jordan.. ;)
So when are we having a mini CLO convention??

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
ewurm;1114661; said:
Tiger Muskies are a cross between Northern Pike and Muskellunge, I believe they do cross on occasion in the wild.
Just a small bit of info from http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/education/tigermuskie/tigermuskie.html

"The tiger muskie is a sterile hybrid cross between the muskellunge and the northern pike. The hybrid gets its name from its distinct, dark vertical bars, although some large individuals display very little barring. Whereas the hybrid can occur in the wild where both species coexist, the vast majority of hybrids are produced in the hatchery. The female muskie is usually preferred due to its greater egg production than the female northern pike. However, the northern pike and muskellunge cross is often used when suitable numbers of female muskie are not available. Maryland obtains its tiger muskie fingerlings from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission in exchange for fingerling striped bass."

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Polypterus;1114603; said:
There are bunches of them actually...
These pics show what very well was a Shortnosed X Longnosed hybrid. Someone I do know that has one has confirmed it but I still call it suspected..

This fish is affectionately know as Lepisosteus medius or the Medium nosed gar in our circles...
what is the suspected adult size of the medium nose?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
mike dunagan;1114676; said:
my fav would be a cross of anything and a maid... that way they can clean the tank and the house... I though getting married meant less cleaning, not more...
nobody else cleans my tanks...but breading a fish to clean the house would be great:D

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
demjor19;1115446; said:
what is the suspected adult size of the medium nose?
Seems to be 2 1/2 to 3 foot....

So when are we having a mini CLO convention??
Likely this October sometime. Your fish will be ready for pick up then as well...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store