Creating natural, functional cichlid display tanks

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I thought you were out of the hobby, selling things off. You are one of the few in mek that maintain biostope tanks. Check out his old threads for inspiration.
No. I was moving cross country so had to sell. I just got set back up.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
There are not many biostope aquariums in the hobby, and mrrobxc, Lee and Stanzzz are some of the few. You need to invest in monster size tank for scaping CA/SA to scale, and resist the temptation to mix varieties.

You will find many biostope tanks in public aquariums as it is their duty to educate public of natural habitats. I've seen Amazon river exhibits that replicate tannin stained water that home aquarists try to clarify.

On the other hand, nature scaped aquariums are extremely popular as reflected in many planted tank forums, international conventions and competition. They don't need big tanks, even nano size tanks are popular, as they don't care or keep only small fish and shrimp. Nature aquariums look picture perfect of nature, but are highly artificial. You don't see CO2 injection, carpet grass, moss mountains and drift wood, and plants of different continents in one place in nature.

Last edited:

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
There are not many biostope aquariums in the hobby, and mrrobxc, Lee and Stanzzz are some of the few. You need to invest in monster size tank for scaping CA/SA to scale, and resist the temptation to mix varieties.

You will find many biostope tanks in public aquariums as it is their duty to educate public of natural habitats. I've seen Amazon river exhibits that replicate tannin stained water that home aquarists try to clarify.

On the other hand, nature scaped aquariums are extremely popular as reflected in many planted tank forums, international conventions and competition. They don't need big tanks, even nano size tanks are popular, as they don't care or keep only small fish and shrimp. Nature aquariums look picture perfect of nature, but are highly artificial. You don't see CO2 injection, carpet grass, moss mountains and drift wood, and plants of different continents in one place in nature.
Thank you. I agree with your thoughts on the nature aquarium being highly artificial but they are indeed artfully executed and any time spent on “that” side of the hobby will teach the budding aquascaper a great deal about how to create compelling layouts.

This is a great thread Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 . So much is here that will help everyone out!

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016

Some of the mountain streams here in NY have almost CO2 injection, very cold, fast flowing water. underwater they are totally green with very often 5+ types of plant growing in one square foot. The tend to be very shallow (<6"), and have no fish, shrimp or red plants though, but otherwise theye look a lot like those nature aquariums.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Most underwater footage or wildlife documentary you see will not have trash and junk in it.
You will get some silt in some. I think visibility is a little misleading too. Looking at 20 foot of water depth can make it look a bit murky,looking at the same water at 2 foot of depth,visibility comes quite good.
In most tanks your looking through about 2 foot of water not into the abyss.
I can only assume some of the strange knit picking thrown up by tiger,we're fuelled by past disagreements.
I think most of us agree that nature is beautiful. I am also under no illusion that what we create in a tank can ever be the same as nature. I just like to come as close as I can and still keep a pleasing display.
I really don't know why the debate came up . I was asked to do this thread and it was intended to help people that wanted it, nothing more,nothing less.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I think most people have taken this thread in the spirit it was intended. The fact that you were asked to do it and put so much effort into it is appreciated as can be seen by all the posts (mine included) praising it and asking relevant questions.
I would like to see you keep it going and add more in depth posts on other aspects of the setups if you are still into it.
A bit of constructive criticism or even nit picking isn't always a bad thing in my opinion if it leads to interesting discussion and debate and not just go around and around in a pointless circle.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think most people have taken this thread in the spirit it was intended. The fact that you were asked to do it and put so much effort into it is appreciated as can be seen by all the posts (mine included) praising it and asking relevant questions.
I would like to see you keep it going and add more in depth posts on other aspects of the setups if you are still into it.
A bit of constructive criticism or even nit picking isn't always a bad thing in my opinion if it leads to interesting discussion and debate and not just go around and around in a pointless circle.
I totally agree with you. I just felt that the critic had little substance to his point.
I think a few other members felt the same.
We can all learn from constructive criticism and I don't feel in any way exempt.
I do plan adding more set ups and more step by step explanations as those set ups materialise. I would like nothing more than to get this thread back on track.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Good to hear, i would lie to see/hear more about what you are up to. Do you keep your setups running for a long time or change them around regularly? Or do,you have a fish house or heaps of different tanks?

Another question, under gravel filters are having bit of a resurgence here For some,reason ,I haven't had one for years myself but am thinking of putting one in my next tank as I assume it won't do amy harm. What's your opinion of them, do you use the,?

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store