Crenicichla cincta, how aggressive

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
how aggressive are cinctas? do you think it would be ok to put one with a escondido cichlid, aurentimatucala snakehead and an endlicheri bichir? i heard they were nasty towards other pikes but what about other fish?

Kutty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Somewhere in S'pore
Pikes have highly belligerent attitudes towards conspecifics and other species that resemble them in appearance. You are dealing with Crenicichla cincta, not just some wimpy Crenicichla lucius or similar. Crenicichla cincta is renowned for its aggression, and if you don't want to lose your snakehead, DON'T put that pike into the tank. Even if your snakehead is larger than the pike, expect fighting to break out. The real bad news is, your snakehead wil lose out at the end of the day. Your species of snakehead is not really an aggressive one, and even if it is, it will still succumb to the teeth, speed and power of the Crenicichla cincta. I strongly advise you to think again.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005

how about the endlicheri bichir? would the cincta go for him too?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Cincta renowned for their aggression eh? Didn't really seem all that more aggressive than all the other Lugubris pikes out there. I would be more worried about the snake head eating the pike cichlid...since it is a rather difficult task findin large ones. There is the slim possibility you could make it work. Generally pike cichlids leave other fish alone that look anything like them. There are exceptions to that rule though, case in point my Xingu I male loved to drag an oscar around by its tail just for the heck of it. Since the channa has the torpedo shape like a pike there is the possibility that there will be aggression there. As for the bichir...not to sure..they don't share the same swimmin area and don't really look similar. The pike might nip at him occassionally but I don't think it will escolade into anything serious. Now, because I said that pikes don't pick on other fish that don't look like them doesn't mean that they won't wage hell if they are picked on. Pike cichlids can stand their ground as good if not better than most cichlids. They have the ability to stand down fish much larger than them. So if your escondido decides to start crap with him he will be in for a rather big surprise. Cincta is one of the larger growing Lugubris pikes as well, being thick and stocky. Keep that in mind........

slavezer0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Manila, Philippines
www.ahbcoe.tk
currently, i do have a cincta red and xingu1(orange pike) on a 75gal tank.
cincta was introduced this sunday only and i was surprised when orange pike chased him.

now, my cincta always found at the side of the tank or underneath driftwood.

still crossing my finger that someday i'll see them chasing guppies together. :shakehead

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Dude, remove one or the other! You've already got an established pike in there, your not gonna be able to add other pikes of a different species....not one at a time...and definately not in a tank that size. Your gonna have a dead pike....which would really suck cuz they are both great!

Heppy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
i added a 12" channa aurantamaculata in to with lrg fish comm and my 9" crenicula strigata squared up for a fight andd the channa ragged it all over to tank had to seperate them after 5 mins

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Heppy said:
i added a 12" channa aurantamaculata in to with lrg fish comm and my 9" crenicula strigata squared up for a fight andd the channa ragged it all over to tank had to seperate them after 5 mins
one or the other would have to go, bigger one usually wins, they might stop to rest but one will usually die.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
slavezer0 said:
currently, i do have a cincta red and xingu1(orange pike) on a 75gal tank.
cincta was introduced this sunday only and i was surprised when orange pike chased him.

now, my cincta always found at the side of the tank or underneath driftwood.

still crossing my finger that someday i'll see them chasing guppies together. :shakehead
post some pics slave :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store