Crenicichla id, zebrina?

NHKG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2015
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Local fish importer is selling this 4" fish as Crenicichla zebrina. They import fish only from Columbia and I know, that zebrina can be found only in Venezuela.
Is there any chance this is real zebrina? I cant see the fish myself, this seller is far from mine home.
Mine next problem is, that I have only 6ft tank with 6 Satanoperca mapiritensis.

20160409_130411-5.jpg 20160409_130422-7.jpg

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
The fish pictured sure looks like Zebrina. The only fish that could IMO be possibly mistaken as Zebrina are Tigrina and possibly Acutirostris. The tail spot on the fish pictured eliminates acutirostris, leaving only zebrina or tigrina. It's hard to see if the fish pictured has a spot behind the gill plate which would definitely eliminate tigrina. However considering how near impossible it is to get tigrina I'd have to say the fish pictured is zebrina. The major issue is are those pics truly the sellers? I'd ask for more pics at very least of the same fish to try and be certain.

As for housing your tank should be able to house Zebrina and the Geos well enough for quite some time. IME Zebrina is one of the more tolerant pikes so I don't think aggression would be an issue.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
It is zebrina. They are from rio casiquare if memory serves correct which is either a tributary of the orinoco...I think...

Either way, it's found near the border of the two countries so don't let the Columbia tag throw you off.

A six foot tank should be fine for them.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store