Crenicichla sp. 'atabapo fire'

Hadrian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
virginia
AF-thanks for the great pics-she is definitely coloring up, very nice. My Atabapo is a male and is also about 8-8.5" he is not as vibrantly colored as yours but is starting to show red on the gill even in day time(before he only showed when the lights were first turned on). I exchanged emials with a knowledgable pike guy and he said that the pic on rapps site is accurate, that when fuly mature they have red heads with pinkish bodies. I wil upload pics of mine if someone will explain how to do so!

k98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
CANADA
Peanut_Power;483028; said:

Sorry bro, striped you of all those posts. Spamming to get your 5 posts doesn't work here. You really gotta post, not just take up space so you can reach the five. All the mods look for it, so its not just me. I know you have a lot to talk about about though so go for it!! I know you can reach it easily!!

About the atabapos...how many did you get? I have to tell you now, the atabapos you got from Rapps aren't TRUE atabapos...unfortunately. They are actually another species, called Crenicichla sp. 'lugubris' cf. 'atabapo. Basically they are species of Lugubris that looks kinda like atabapo and are generally collected in the same area....hence the name. Still a great fish, just wanted to give you a heads up so when it does mature and loses all its juv. coloration, you won't be disappoint that you didn't have the real fire pike. HOWEVER, if they look like the pikes in this thread....;)...then they ARE the REAL Crenicichla sp. 'atabapo fire'...but last time i checked Rapps hasn't had them in a realllly long time...;)
hey master do you know wath sp mean?there are no real atabapos because the species is not scientificly desribed so..................who are you to called some fish real one or false? the one you called a false can be named crenicichla atabos anyway the name atabapos will be certenly removed when they will do more reaserch on the crenicichla scene.btw the cf after the name look verry funny to me:ROFL: so real one or not your fish rox

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Hadrian, when you post go down under the main post to manage attachments, then click browse and choose the pic you want to upload from your desktop then just hit upload, close that window and submit reply and it should work. I would like to see the male as I've been thinking about buying a male from Rapps also so that I could have a pair. What size did you purchase according to his site the 6.5 or the 7.5? Its good to know his are growing at the same rate as mine are roughly so when I buy another one they will be equal size. ~Trent

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store